Strong winds caused huge path of damage from Harpers ferry wv to D.C.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Lawn Shark

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was in harpers ferry yesterday picking up cartons of smokes for the month(alot cheaper there than M.d.)

Anyways, Just started to head home and a helluv storm rolled threw..
On the way home my wife called and said a tree fell over onto our street.

Got home and the property owner was waiting for me(knows I have tree biz).
Gave him a price and he ok'ed it. called my groundies for there availabilty and one said sure but he'll be there once he finishes getting the tree out of his driveway so he can get his truck out. My other ground man lives a couple streets up from me and was ok w/ working as well.

City workers showed up w/ back hoe and pushed the tree to side of street and we then did are thing...got it cleaned up and hauled off in 1 1/2 hours flat
Finished that up and then all hell broke lose and my phone still has'nt stopped ringing...
Got the guys started this morning on two more blowdowns and off estimating I went looked at a bunch of jobs. Got contracts/agreements on half of them and the others are pretty much getting ok'ed from ther ins companys.

I was in the potomic area just outside washington D.C. and one street alone had 7 different tree companys on it...Seen (3) trees completely busted threw roofs and a bunch leaning or propped against houses.

This one oak tree had atleast a 15' to 16' dbh 50" to 60" across. It was off to one side of a bckyard and had fell over threw a fence, across the neighbors driveway and into the other neighbors house.....Funny thing is three different tree companys are doing the work. A company was starting today w/ craning it off the house and cleaning up to the prop line. Another company is doing from that property line(across driveway) to my customers prop line and we got the rest from there.

Dropped a couple trees in some yards today that were at risk of coming the rest of the way down and put a couple ropes in trees until we get to them
All this out giving estimates in a button up polo.:dizzy:

I have'nt seen so many tree companys in awhile..I bet I seen 40 different companys (legit) and probaly that many guys with pickups and ladders and a chainsaw.

Anybody else in the DC area/Md area busy as well.

Last edited:
I was watching the radar when it came through.

Didn't see too much damage around here. Got 1 Pear job out of it.
Went to Leesburg and Harpers Ferry last weekend and didn't see a whole lot, must have gotten cleaned up pretty quick.

Back