Student Scholarship- Alberta Arborists

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis_M

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Curtis; I am applying for the Alberta Arborists Annual Scholarship (http://www.albertaarborists.com/). As part of the application process I am required to post a short piece in an arborist forum to express my opinion on how tree services benefit a homeowner.

In my opinion tree services can benefit a homeowner in three ways. One, through professional and experienced tree care, two, by providing safe and certified services, and three, emergency services and risk assessment.
Tree services provide professional and experienced tree care that can greatly extend the life and aesthetic quality of a homeowner’s tree/s. Arborists are experts in their field when it comes to evaluating tree health, vitality, and aesthetic appeal. My personal experience while working as a tree service crewmember has shown me that while the motto “the customer is always right” may be employed by the company, it’s not always true. Trained arborists know best when is comes to trees, and homeowners should take advantage of their professional knowledge and years experience.
Tree services benefit a homeowner by providing a trained and regulated service that can prove dangerous to untrained personnel. Felling trees, pruning at various heights, or removing a tree in an urban setting can be a difficult and dangerous task that a tree service can fulfill. Using a tree service takes the danger and hard labour out of the hands of a homeowner reducing their risk for injury or damage, and making it more convenient for them as they sit back an observe.
Finally, tree services are there to consult hazardous situations, help in times of emergency, and better yet, help prevent catastrophe. Assessing hazardous trees and associated risk is an integral part of the tree service profession. Employing professionals to assess a homeowner’s property and trees, whether the homeowner has concerns or is simply taking a precaution, can help prevent disaster such as a tree falling on a home. In the event of a tree falling on a roof and damaging it, tree services can safely and quickly remove the tree allowing for repairs to commence on the home.
As an aspiring university graduate hoping to enter the field of forestry, and become a certified climber, I can say I am very passionate about the industry and hope one day to make a career of it. Tree services play a crucial role in all settings to all forms of customers and will forever be a required service.
Thank you to the Alberta Arborists Annual Scholarship (http://www.albertaarborists.com/).

-Curtis

While I applaud your enthusiasm, (bordering on dewy-eyed naïveté, imo), the number of tree services operating with professionalism and integrity are but a few noodles in a sea of Kraft Dinner.. .landscaping outfits masquerading at treework, unemployed roofers, handymen, jack-of-all trades all out to make a buck playing this game. Anybody and everybody is an "arborist"and/or a "tree expert".
Even the venerable ISA dumbed down their Cert Arb exam to the extent that a baboon can now pass it.
Not that I'm jaded though! Not me. :rolleyes:

While I applaud your enthusiasm, (bordering on dewy-eyed naïveté, imo), the number of tree services operating with professionalism and integrity are but a few noodles in a sea of Kraft Dinner.. .landscaping outfits masquerading at treework, unemployed roofers, handymen, jack-of-all trades all out to make a buck playing this game. Anybody and everybody is an "arborist"and/or a "tree expert".
Even the venerable ISA dumbed down their Cert Arb exam to the extent that a baboon can now pass it.
Not that I'm jaded though! Not me. :rolleyes:
I have actually had one of these "tree experts" refer to himself as a "UC arborist." I had to stop and think for a minute and wonder if there was a new arborist designation to explain this guy's term. I can only imagine what a homeowner would think. With a smile on his face the guy confessed that it meant "uncertified arborist."

Latest posts

Back