studying for isa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1I'dJak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
the isa exam is coming to victoria soonish and the other bc exam is somewhenre like vernon or something, so i figure I'm gonna give er a whirl while its close... Most of it i'm pretty confident with thru studying the manual and it ties in with the diploma program i was in...but the ID part is gonna be the toughie... my id for a lot of the decicuous (especially when young) is pretty weakly...gimme your forest species trees and it's all good....but i figure i'll give it the old college try... any reccommendations for getting my id down...(ego's always delfated).... and what's the format?
thnx

You can make flash cards of the leaf patterns and buds. Or go spend a few nights or wekkends down at your local Arboretum.

thing is i don't know the extent of the species i should study... i gather it covers the pacific northwest region or do they throw all sorts of species at me....is there a specific book i should look at to make flash cards outta?

Call your local ISA chapter and ask them for the species list. I belive they only quiz you on the speciaes in your state/zone.

Mr. 1 eyed Jack,

When the ISA head office recieves your application (and your money) to write the Cert. exam, they will send you a list of the trees that MAY be on the exam, as well as a confirmation letter telling you of the where/when/time... This list of trees is fairly comprehensive. I would suggest to you that you should be able to identify the trees and woody ornamentals in YOUR hardiness Zone. The plant ID portion of the exam is 10 multiple choice questions. There are several ways in which the proctor may display the species to you, They may use live samples, dried mounts, overhead slides, or pictures. The answer sheet has four choices for you to consider, they are always listed with the proper latin genus and species first, followed by the common name for your region.

One of the most valuable books in my collection is "Trees of Canada" by John Laird Farrar. I believe it is published by Fitzhenery & Whiteside Limited and the Canadian Foerestry Service. The other book that is helpful on the prairies is "Woody Ornamentals for the Prairies" by Hugh Knowles. I don't know if I have been any help, but like you I was nervous about this particular domain, and passed on the first try.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Brent

thanx fellas, that website is awesome! Some of these trees i've never seen or even heard of and probably never will! Never come accross a russian olive or a japanese zvelkova!

1I'dJak said:
thanx fellas, that website is awesome! Some of these trees i've never seen or even heard of and probably never will! Never come accross a russian olive or a japanese zvelkova!

i like that site alot too! you should be able to find all the trees that will be on the 'local' ISA list when you get it.

russian olive is an invasive exotic. they are pretty common down in the western US, but also found in southern canada. its a nasty one!
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/elan1.htm

the Zelkova is an ornamental found in zones 5-8 and commonly planted as a street tree. it is in the Elm family and is commonly mistaken for other elms including the chinese (which has very different bark).

Back