stump be gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stump is Gone

The stump I was working on - see picture in post #35 is now history.

PatrickIsland -- where can a person buy Thermite. Sounds like it may be an easier method than I have been using.

Nosmo

Last edited:
:cheers:
BTW, hope you had a good winter cutting on your woodlot - and hope you get your birch split before summer humidity sets in. I've got more of the white papery stuff than I ever imagined due to the ice storm that whacked us good before Christmas.

Ankles beware. The lot is done for the year: firewood butts waiting for time to split/stack over the summer ( birch is scored, so it should be OK ). No pulp market this year in Maine, so the usual spruce and fir blowdowns and cuts will rot with enough going to the hot tub and workshop stoves. TSI done also.
Stoves still going strong here--wet, chilly, moldy.

I save chains with no life for stump cutting down to the ground. Too much effort on trails to pull stumps anyhow....in time they all rot.

Black flies yet ? :cry:

there are some cool vids on youtube, just search for thermite. Used to cut a car in half etc.

Ankles beware. The lot is done for the year: firewood butts waiting for time to split/stack over the summer ( birch is scored, so it should be OK ). No pulp market this year in Maine, so the usual spruce and fir blowdowns and cuts will rot with enough going to the hot tub and workshop stoves. TSI done also.
Stoves still going strong here--wet, chilly, moldy.

I save chains with no life for stump cutting down to the ground. Too much effort on trails to pull stumps anyhow....in time they all rot.

Black flies yet ? :cry:

Stove's been going most of the week. Mostly bark, wastewood, etc. Black flies are past peak - they were wicked a couple weeks ago. Seemed more numerous and more aggressive than usual. Glad I got most everything bucked, split and stacked before they came on.

'Skeeters are some coming along. Ticks have been on the warpath for a month. No biggie with the stove going - just pick them of and let 'em suffer over the medium heat lid on the cookstove. :chainsaw:

BTW, there's a new member - Split this! is his handle - looking for advice on a stove heated jacuzzi. No one's been able to help him as yet. Your hot tub set up might be some help to him.

there are some cool vids on youtube, just search for thermite. Used to cut a car in half etc.

It's main use is for welding railway lines together to get a "seamless" joint - so if you want a lot of it, you may be able to pick up a 50lb drum of it from someone who supplies the railways. It's not illegal or anything, and not that dangerous unless you're stupid with it - i'm happy to stand a couple of feet back from a stump when the stuff starts to flare.
I'd warn against using it near ice, snow, etc. - search for a video on youtube with thermite and ice in the title - thermite melts, drops onto a BIG block of ice, showers hot iron all over the place!

Stove's been going most of the week. Mostly bark, wastewood, etc. Black flies are past peak - they were wicked a couple weeks ago. Seemed more numerous and more aggressive than usual. Glad I got most everything bucked, split and stacked before they came on.

'Skeeters are some coming along. Ticks have been on the warpath for a month. No biggie with the stove going - just pick them of and let 'em suffer over the medium heat lid on the cookstove. :chainsaw:

BTW, there's a new member - Split this! is his handle - looking for advice on a stove heated jacuzzi. No one's been able to help him as yet. Your hot tub set up might be some help to him.

Is that what he is asking?I thought he was asking about a stove made by Jacuzzi/ someone.I have seen spa stoves made by Snorkel Stove in Seattle.They are great.

Is that what he is asking?I thought he was asking about a stove made by Jacuzzi/ someone.I have seen spa stoves made by Snorkel Stove in Seattle.They are great.

Off OP topic so pardon moi. The snorkel has been a boon to Downeast.
Visualize: light snow falling on a February full moon say around 1930 H. It's
12 F and falling with a light NW breeze dusting the spruces. The path is clear. the Snor5kel has the tub up to 110 F mixed with the tub oar. The Sweetie has her drink, and I with my Laphroiag meander ( never run on snow ) to the waiting tub with fleece robes on. They hang fast on the spruce. We enter slooowly, and AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. :censored:

Get the Snorkel.:clap::clap:

Now you see it , Now you don't !

Here is my latest stump removal of an old elm tree. I've taken out 3-elms and one mulberry this spring and do not have any stumps.

It takes a little more work to dig down between and under the roots and as far back up under the stump as I can get. But slowly it begins melting away with a fire under it and eventually there is no stump.

I've lived here 19 years and have taken out a lot of damaged trees - we get a lot of wind storms in Oklahoma. I'm glad to say I have no stumps to mow around.

Nosmo

Latest posts

Back