Stump Grinder Choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrain44

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Buying a stump grinder to start a side business. I will be working exclusively for a great friend of mine who owns a tree service and who I work for over the summer as well as securing work on my own. I have narrowed my search down to either Bandit or Carlton. I have an offer to buy a new Bandit 2150 xp with a 35 hp Vanguard and greenteeth, 2wd, stick control, dual wheels for 19500 out the door in stock. If I wanted either the 4012 or the 2250 or 2550 I would be waiting 4-6 weeks.

I really wanted to stay around 20000 max because this is just a side business and I don't want to get in over my head. I can order the 2250 for a very similar price but that only comes with the 27 hp engine option. The 2550 with gas would be around 25000 and with the 35hp Kubota 30000+.

I can't predict the size of stumps I will be doing, I'm sure they will vary. I know he has already secured a job with 10 pine stumps to do. I'm eager to get started but I don't want to rush in blind.

I know used is an option but man most of them are beat up. A new one with some security with a warranty would be great.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I excited to be on the site.

You'd be better off just giving the money to your buddy to spend on hookers and blow, then have a good punch up with him. Why draw the agony out? Just get it done quick and easy that way.

I can't think of a worse use of $20k than buying a small stump grinder as a side business.

Shaun

Spend a little more and buy a used carlton grinder. There is alot of low hour Sp7015 carltons on the market right now. The small machines are ok, but take a long long time to grind a bigger stump.

I had a rayco 1625a sjr (25 hp) it would take me about a hour to grind a 2' diameter stump. I just bought a used 2005 carlton sp8018 trx (78hp) and i can now grind a 2' stump in 10 minutes. All the wasted time i spent over the last couple years standing at the controls of that small grinder on huge stumps.

Get a bigger machine and dont look back.

Spend a little more and buy a used carlton grinder. There is alot of low hour Sp7015 carltons on the market right now. The small machines are ok, but take a long long time to grind a bigger stump.

I had a rayco 1625a sjr (25 hp) it would take me about a hour to grind a 2' diameter stump. I just bought a used 2005 carlton sp8018 trx (78hp) and i can now grind a 2' stump in 10 minutes. All the wasted time i spent over the last couple years standing at the controls of that small grinder on huge stumps.

Sorry but I have to ask...Show me where there's alot of low hour SP7015's for sale.

Ya man I can't find them and honestly I can't spend that much money. If 20k is a waste of money to spend 30k isn't going to make it better. I see the point about the bigger, faster grinder taking less time but I can't invest that amount of money to get started. I can get used bandit 2450's for around 25k with a 44hp Kubota on it with 300hrs or less and lot is a lot of power.

I can spend a lot less and get an older used model but all the ones I have looked into are absolutely beat. What's the point?

I don't expect his to be a immediate, profitable side business but in the long haul with the resource I have I can see it being worth my while.

I know I'm new on here and my "street cred" is definitely nothing special, but I figured the best advice would be from those with the credentials. If I'm crazy then so be it and I will listen, but I would love honest, helpful feedback before I start something I can't take back.

Again thanks to all for viewing and your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

The other day they had one for $29. Callrandy and ask him. Might not have everything on the web yet.

California tree equipment had on too.

Big machines are great but it's important to remember the more you spend the busier you have to keep the machine. I've got an 8018 and it's a beast of a machine but sometimes I think my old $7500 tow behind was less stressfull. If I didin't have any work lined up, no big deal, I wasn't making payments on it and it could sit in the shed.

Thanks MOE. So is spending 24k on a Bandit 2450 with a 44hp Kubota 4x4 and 300 hours enough machine for the money. Or is the brand new 2150 with the 35hp Vanguard 2wd for 19k a better option starting out? I really can't go beyond 25k. It's either stay in that price range or not do this at all.

Thanks MOE. So is spending 24k on a Bandit 2450 with a 44hp Kubota 4x4 and 300 hours enough machine for the money. Or is the brand new 2150 with the 35hp Vanguard 2wd for 19k a better option starting out? I really can't go beyond 25k. It's either stay in that price range or not do this at all.

I think either one would be a good choice, i would probably go with the low hour machine with the diesel, i had a 2150 with the 38 hp kohler and sold it and bought an all hyd 2550, hands down a better machine and no belts or bearings to mess with, paid 25300, if u can fit that in your budget that would be my choice, i have owned a pto grinder, a sc252 vermeer, a 2150 bandit and now a 2550 xp bandit, best one so far and no stump scares me....hope this helps..

Bob.....:cheers:

Thanks Bob. What features does your 2550 have? 4x4? remote? and what size motor does that run? I could stretch it just a bit for a brand new model but not much.

Thanks Bob. What features does your 2550 have? 4x4? remote? and what size motor does that run? I could stretch it just a bit for a brand new model but not much.

I have the 38hp kohler, at myi age 72, i did not see any sense in getting the diesel, i probably will not be grinding stumps for long enough to pay for the difference in price, i do not have remote or 4 wheel drive, i have not had an instance in 8 yrs of grinding where i would have needed the 4wd, mine came with greenteeth and a month after i bought it they started putting on the new revolution wheel,,,,just my luck...:bang:

I think once u get a grinder u will be getting much more work than u think, i work for about 4 different tree services and they keep me pretty much covered up, sometimes u will get on a job and can't get out of the neighborhood, so keep that i mind when making your purchase that is if u want the work or are content just working for the one tree service....just some thoughts..

Bob.....:cheers:

You'd be better off just giving the money to your buddy to spend on hookers and blow, then have a good punch up with him. Why draw the agony out? Just get it done quick and easy that way.

I can't think of a worse use of $20k than buying a small stump grinder as a side business.

Shaun

I started my business with a small Rayco part time and made a pile of money. Made $1,000 today and had a $1,850 week last week in 2 days - that is 3 days of work for $2,850 - not bad - but if I took your advise all I would have is a bunch of old wacked out hookers - now I can afford new young ones!

Buy a used Carlton SP4012 for now - grow your business and then get the big one. With a nice used one you won't have the stress as you will have some down time as you grow. You can get a dang nice used gas with a 35HP Vanguard for $12,500.

I started off with a 30 hp tow behind vermeer, I hated grinding anything over 12 inches. It just sucked but its what got me where I am today, I didnt have the money then so I had no choice, I learned how to sharpen all the teeth and that helped with the smaller hp. I now have a self driving Rayco RG Super 50 and I use the 1100 series deep dish greenteeth. I sharpen them alot less than you would think. The 66 hp diesel is a beast and I actually like grinding stumps now, it has a push blade which has come in real handy at times. Ya know ya get older and you want things to be easier not harder, and this was one upgrade that really changed things for me. not everyone has the opportunity that others do but man I only paid 18K used for mine. That's alot of money but sitting here now after 10 years with this machine, Best move I ever made. Money well spent, and I havent had to put alot back into the machine. Some of the new machines look real nice but dont forget we are talking about some serious wood planted in the ground, It makes sense to me ya need HP for that stuff. and being able to drive the unit in the back yards through the 36" gates and all, you can just do more and make more. Either way you will figure it all out in time for yourself! If i can go back in time and knew this now I would of done my darn best to get a larger HP machine self driving grinder. But how do we learn? our opportunities are all different, we make the best of what we got! Good luck.

I had a long conversation with my tree guy this evening and we had that very conversation about the importance of horsepower. He made a great point. He said that a smaller gas model would be cheaper as a start up but it will limit your time a bit especially on large stumps. Or I can invest more up front for the larger horsepower and be able to tackle any tree at a much faster rate, thus increasing production and profit. For example a tree job he secured with 10 stumps to be ground could take the whole day or half a day and allow me to either grind other trees that same day and/or work for him and make good money cutting. His opinion the start up risk/reward was similar with each option but in the long haul the greater horsepower of the 44hp Kubota diesel will show through over the 35hp gas.

Thoughts?

I had a long conversation with my tree guy this evening and we had that very conversation about the importance of horsepower. He made a great point. He said that a smaller gas model would be cheaper as a start up but it will limit your time a bit especially on large stumps. Or I can invest more up front for the larger horsepower and be able to tackle any tree at a much faster rate, thus increasing production and profit. For example a tree job he secured with 10 stumps to be ground could take the whole day or half a day and allow me to either grind other trees that same day and/or work for him and make good money cutting. His opinion the start up risk/reward was similar with each option but in the long haul the greater horsepower of the 44hp Kubota diesel will show through over the 35hp gas.

Thoughts?

I think so absolutely go w the higher hp diesel motor.

Any opinions on a 2011 Bandit 2450xp 300hrs. 4x4 44hp Kubota stick control greenteeth for 24000?

For 2k more you could get a 7015. I ground a popular today that was 7' across. Took me less them a hour. Why spend the same money and take 4 times as long to ground the stump

Latest posts

Back