Stump Grinder Choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Matt/Cal Tree Equipment, nice to hear that you have done it before, sounds like you are doing the right thing with the dismantling. I will keep an eye on what machines you have on offer.
Chris

Buying a stump grinder to start a side business. I will be working exclusively for a great friend of mine who owns a tree service and who I work for over the summer as well as securing work on my own. I have narrowed my search down to either Bandit or Carlton. I have an offer to buy a new Bandit 2150 xp with a 35 hp Vanguard and greenteeth, 2wd, stick control, dual wheels for 19500 out the door in stock. If I wanted either the 4012 or the 2250 or 2550 I would be waiting 4-6 weeks.

I really wanted to stay around 20000 max because this is just a side business and I don't want to get in over my head. I can order the 2250 for a very similar price but that only comes with the 27 hp engine option. The 2550 with gas would be around 25000 and with the 35hp Kubota 30000+.

I can't predict the size of stumps I will be doing, I'm sure they will vary. I know he has already secured a job with 10 pine stumps to do. I'm eager to get started but I don't want to rush in blind.

I know used is an option but man most of them are beat up. A new one with some security with a warranty would be great.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I excited to be on the site.
I have a almost new Alpine Magnum for sale if interested? Can get in places others cannot, and will keep up with most. Just a thought.

I started with a used RG 50. Gas engine machines were never an option. I have run it for close to 2 years as a part time thing. I've got to the point where I'm doing enough to make a go of it full time. I just picked up a used Super RG-50 a couple weeks ago. It is twice the machine. For what I am doing I would now consider it the minimum machine. 4WD is a must. I have done SO many jobs my other machine could not have got to. The extra HP is nice 66 vs 48. 4 cyl vs 3, big difference in noise levels. Feels like it runs at a lower rpm. The push blade is nice on those 4-5' stumps where you have enough chips to fill the bed of a pick-up twice...
But, to the OP - Yes I now think I should have started out with the bigger machine but, we all have to start somewhere. I really want the Carlton 7015TRX. When I get it I'm sure I will wish I had it earlier...
It was nice having a "paid for" machine vs now making payments. Create the clients before you take on payments if you can. The man I bought the Super from started with 3 smaller gas grinders before buying the Super 50, and now runs a RG-70.
To summarize - Go diesel, go 4WD, go biggest hp you can afford. Build your business and upgrade when you can.
Good luck!

Look at a Rayco 1645 the best grinder in the midrange class. Direct drive sends more power to the grinding wheel than a pump drive grinder. It comes with 4x4 and blade. If you are just starting out and cant justify a new machine look a a used Rayco RG50 or Super 50, To build up to a new machine put away 35 percent of you gross for bigger better machine. A small gas machine will drive you nuts grinding anything over 20 inches.

Three keys to successful stump grinding.
1- horse power! There is no substitute
2- weight- all the horsepower in the world won't help you if the head won't stay in the stump!
3- teeth you need to get all the power and weight to the stump. New river makes the heaviest wheel so in effect carries more inertia to the teeth and cuts better!
Hands down the best transfer of horse power and weight to the ground is a belt driven machine. Like the Carlton 7015.
Buy the biggest used machine you can afford and you won't be disappointed. The big ones WILL go where the small ones do and do the job way better!
Hope this helps!

Back