Stump Grinder-teeth.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoser.

Reaction score
COULD SOMEONE HELP ME OUT WITH THE RIGHT INFO
ON HOW TO SHARPEN STUMP GRINDER TEETH PROPERLY
AND WHAT TOOLS TO USE I HAVE A VERMEER-252.
ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT!

HOSER
ONT. CANADA.

You can use a standard bench grinder. You will need either a "green wheel" (silicon carbide) or a diamond wheel for the carbide portion of the tooth. Do not thin the carbide face of the tooth. You want to shorten the tooth's overall length until you have a sharp edge again. If you are using a green wheel, steel tends to tear the surface off the wheel very rapidly so grinding a relief on the tip of the steel shank with a standard aluminum oxide wheel will save both time and money. The angle is not critical just be sure that a small amount of relief angle exists behind the leading/cutting edge. I set my rests on the bench grinder so that I set the tooth on them with the carbide facing up and the curvature of the wheel is providing the relief. If you leave the tooth in one spot it will groove the green wheel rapidly so I move the tip of the tooth back and forth across the face of the wheel while swiveling it slightly in order to sharpen the whole cutting portion. Hope this helps-it is a lot easier to demonstrate than describe.;)

Latest posts

Back