Stump grinder tooth sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sisco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Vermeer 252 with the stock teeth. I think they are Rayco. Ive recently bought this grinder and I have the green grinder wheel to sharpen the teeth. I tried to sharpen them last night by just reshaping them like a new tooth. I dont know if its right or not. I ll see today but is there a good tutorial maybe even a pict or two on how to sharpen these teeth. Thanks for all the help.

Best way to sharpen the old-style stock teeth (not talking about vermeer's new yellowjacket system) is to throw them away when dull and get your machine set up with greenteeth or sandvik teeth - something that doesn't require the removal of the pocket just to get a new cutting edge!

I'm not joking. Working with the old-style stock teeth is not worth the effort unless you have lots of down time and nothing else to do but wrench on seized pocket bolts for a couple of hours. I switched to greenteeth on my 252 three years ago and the $350 investment was very much worth it.

If you insist upon staying with the stock teeth and are grinding the carbides with a greenwheel, make sure you use a good mask so you don't destroy your lungs. That's the only advice I have regarding sharpening.

Back