stump grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of old threads on chippers under 'large equipment'. Just look back at the threads from the last year and pick them out.

Do a search on stump grinders, as said above we have been this way before.

First see if you have enough work to pay for it, then see if what you can afford will do the stumps you make.

I would not own one unless I could dedicate at least a manday a week to the grinder. There are enough people out there doing it that you cna get good work done for cheap.

Originally posted by treepreacher
He said stump grinders 165

I am very well aware of what was said. Try reading the forum titles and descriptions, preacher. :eek:

We rented a Praxis over the weekend and were very impressed. While it was a handlebar 9 hp, it was able to do the job. They are very well made, and for the money very impressive.

Previously, we had a Husky that just didn't cut it. (Sorry for the pun)

We are thinking of purchasing one of the 13 hp models. For $2800 dollars, we can't get a "real" one yet, and I'm sure that we can continue to use it even if purchasing a larger model in the future.

John and Brian know how big the Silver Maple was! Once we got below ground, it was 40+ inches. We were the very first to rent it, and the rental place didn't add enough oil, so the safety kept killing it when tipping back, but after two hours we had removed about 8 inches. It's still only three inches below ground, but we were able to evaluate the unit, which was our objective.

What will it do on an oak? Keep it sharp!

The 13 hp advertises 50% more torque over the 9 hp. Their "auto-sweep" is a brake for the left tire. Actually, it works OK!

When/if we get it, come up to Dubuque and try it out.

GFB

I have been using Vermeer stump grinders since 1965. Always had good luck with them. Do all repairs myself so can't say much for dealers service. I have called factory quite a few times and they have been able to help me right over the phone. This is a big plus to me. I now sell used Vermeer stumps. I won't buy one less that 30-35 HP. I prefer the diesels myself.

I've tried most major brands and types, and have come to the opinion that some of the smaller ones are a better value...if you're willing to work a little harder. The less hydrolics, the less expensive and heavy. A 20 horse Dosco, for example, with sharp teeth on it, can keep up with a 65 horse machine with dull teeth. Unfair comparison? Not really, because the Dosco only has 8 teeth to change, while the larger machines have 2, 3, 4 times as many. There is much less inclination to change them, much more expense in buying them, more time involved in changing/ sharpening, etc. So the big machines tend to get run with dull teeth. Smaller machines tend to run at higher rpm. Combination of high rpm plus sharp teeth makes for a pretty good machine, at a much lower price. Lack of hydrolics has advantages, too: allows for more precise control, keeps total weight down(in case you've got to haul it out of a ditch, say):Monkey:

GFB, Those Praxis are Neat little machines arent they? I bought one about a yr ago and Was very concerned when i ordered it But it impressed me. I can take out a 12" oak stump in a few minutes and a 3' pine in about 30 min And considering what i paid for it I'd say it a good Value.

Vermeer 252

The company I work for uses a Vermeer 252, which seems to get the job done so long as the teeth are sharp. We did nine stumps on Thursday, up to a 30 inch diameter ash with no problems. I am new to this business, and have never used another type, but this model seems to do the job well, and is small enough to get into most locations without a problem, easy to get on and off a trailer as well.. :jester:

Latest posts

Back