Stump grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering how everyone prices stump grinding?
As mentioned by the hour with one hour minimum is a guide to start.
Rule of thumb I saw before I started out that seems to hold true is is for a smaller machine $100 per hour, for a large machine $300 per hour.
But the short of it is, charge whatever you can get and to that end find out what you competitors are charging relevant to your locale.

A general rule in any service business is if your prices are right you will loose about 20% of the jobs you quote on.
If you win every job you quote on your prices are too cheap, and if you loose half of all jobs you quote your prices are too high.
So that helps you adjust prices as you go.

Also if you get asked why it cost so much to grind a stump when you do it so quickly the answer to that is, The price is not based on how long it takes me to remove the stump with a machine but how long it takes you to remove the stump without a machine and what its worth to avoid injuring your back doing it.

Used to charge hourly (with a one hour minimum), but when upgraded machine, starting working on a 'piece rate'.

Per stump, have a price per size category. Has been a much more lucrative way to operate the machine, particularly for those jobs with a large number of small to medium stumps. Certain stumps (difficult access, very large, particular species), a hourly rate may work out better, but I try to price those ones differently.

For a new Vermeer SC382, I aim to hit above $300.00 per machine hour. $100.00 per hour would be very skinny for the cost of that machine.

Back