Stump removal w/chainsaw or sawsall?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky137 said:
how about build a d@mn gate and then hire it out. Would solve the wheelbarrow in the house stuff.

Husky-hold that strong tongue of yours and read the post. I cannot build a gate. Put yourself in my shoes. For one stump, would you cut a hole in your garage and install a door? Would you pay for a gate in my neighbors' fences, and then hire someone to grind it out? C'mon-I don't think so. I don't have an endless supply of materials, tools, time, etc., to do that. Ever hear of opportunity cost?

Stumper-this thread was to ask advice on how to remove a stump as easily as possible, not be ridiculed. Seems like the right to cast off a slanted comment comes with post count?

BTW-I'm halfway there with my axe and prybar as we stand. My f'n Iowa born diesels will have this out by tonight.

Stumper said:
What do you mean inaccessible to a stumpgrinder? Some access is difficult and requires use of a mini stumpgrinder but anything you can get a chainsaw to I can get a stumper to. As far as digging around it and sawing it off--sure it can be done-been there and done that but why not just shoot yourself in the foot with a shotgun-it will be almost as much fun.

Too funny!!!:bang:

stumper said:
.....but why not just shoot yourself in the foot with a shotgun-it will be almost as much fun.

If it is a decent sized stump out of a decently hard wood, then the above statement is the best advice in this entire thread. Don't ask me how I know.

BTW-I'm halfway there with my axe and prybar as we stand. My f'n Iowa born diesels will have this out by tonight.[/QUOTE]

Ya, baby rip that sucka out. Man, I wish I lived closer I be over there in a minute!

18watt said:
Husky-hold that strong tongue of yours and read the post. I cannot build a gate. Put yourself in my shoes. For one stump, would you cut a hole in your garage and install a door?

Certainly would, most people do in order to allow easier access to the back yard such as yours. Plus it would make all those future projects that much easier without all the absurd d!cking around. Plug that into your opportunity cost equation. BTW I read the entire thread including your posts.

I've used the alpine magnum it actually works fairly well. Very portable, it can be carried just about anywhere. Sounds like you've figured out how to get rid of the stump but for future reference, if you can find someone who has one.:popcorn:

18watt, I was trying to give you advice on the easiest way to get the stump out.-What made the thread pathetic were the continued posts by homeowners who have devoted hours, weekends and in some cases a few weeks to digging sawing and chopping. I too have been guilty of foolish do-it-yourself projects for which I was inadequately equipped. I'm not against doing things oneself-I do so frequently- but there should be some sort of decent cost benefit ratio. You are beating up your tools and equipment plus your body in order to "save" perhaps $100.

I've dug up a lot of stumps by hand, pulled them out with a tractor, dug aorund and cut with chainsw, cut root with axe and rock out by hand etc but the most fun I had was with one I dug out with a large jackhammer.

Stumper said:
18watt, I was trying to give you advice on the easiest way to get the stump out.-What made the thread pathetic were the continued posts by homeowners who have devoted hours, weekends and in some cases a few weeks to digging sawing and chopping. I too have been guilty of foolish do-it-yourself projects for which I was inadequately equipped. I'm not against doing things oneself-I do so frequently- but there should be some sort of decent cost benefit ratio. You are beating up your tools and equipment plus your body in order to "save" perhaps $100.

Fair enough, Stumper-let's shake on this one, ok?

I will say that some comments here were motivation to do it by hand out of spite. Interestingly enough, what I found underneath the stump was a few slabs of flagstone that were hooked in the roots, AND MY LOT LINE MARKER!!! About 2/3 of the stump was on my lot and the remainder was my neighbors.

The stump is OUT!:givebeer:

RE:stump advise

Justsaws said:
Rent a cut-off saw and put a wood cutting blade in it. Get a 10" 32 crosscut blade and drag it across the stump. Works very well and is incredibly easy to do. Do not try cut every last piece of wood just slot the wood so you can break it off with an axe. You can use a regular circular saw if you want but I find the cutoff saw to be easier. Make sure to cut the stump as close to ground as you can with your chain saw first. I would not think it wold take more than 5 minutes of cutting and ten minutes of axing to remove a 3" layer. Just keep doing that until it is under the ground enough to make you happy. I usually only go about 3-4", just enough to plant grass over it. Good luck.
I THINK YOUR'S IS THE BEST ADVISE GIVEN ON THIS STUMP REMOVAL THREAD GIVEN THE ACCESSIBILTY TO HIS BACK YARD NOT TO MENTION THE DIAMETER OF THE HICKORY STUMP......TIME IS MONEY, I'D RATHER BE FISHING THAN MESSING WITH THIS PROJECT..............JOHN

Back