Stumpgrinder on eBay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SinglerM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's one that's currently on ebay. I'm thinking of buying it. The reserve is $13,000.
Are there any typical concerns to look into on a stumpgrinder with a diesel engine?
It only has 76 hours. Seems like a great deal at $13,000.
Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.:)

Regards,
Mitch

Brainfart!

Sorry,

I experienced a giant brainfart. I copied the url and forgot to paste it into the post. :bang: I'm at work at the moment, eBay is filtered...I'll have to wait until I get home and retry.

Sorry.:bang:

Regards,
Mitch

Think Bigger Not Smaller

I would be looking diesel all the way. with a briggs your replacing the engine every 3-500 hours.with very little low end torque. i saw the grinder listed with 13k reserve you mentioned. you can spend another 5k for a used 7015 and grind twice as fast with long term longivity. just my 2 cents.....regan

Thanks.

howel07264 said:
I would be looking diesel all the way. with a briggs your replacing the engine every 3-500 hours.with very little low end torque. i saw the grinder listed with 13k reserve you mentioned. you can spend another 5k for a used 7015 and grind twice as fast with long term longivity. just my 2 cents.....regan

I appreciate your opinion on this.
I'm still trying to come to a decision between the Lombardini vs the Briggs Vanguard 35 V-twin engine.
300-500 engine life? Wow. I still have some researching to do.
You're right. $13,000 put me in the ballpark for other grinders.
Longevity IS very important.

Thanks again, Howel07264.;)

Regards,
Mitch

Dang I'm glad you let us in on that!Thats the one ive been looking for! I'm going to bid up to 15K for it.
J/K!

I wouldn't, That's way too much.

DDM said:
Dang I'm glad you let us in on that!Thats the one ive been looking for! I'm going to bid up to 15K for it.
J/K!

15K.....You could almost get a new one for that.:jawdrop:

I was planning on getting it, at first. But I won't be able to make it down to MS as soon as I originally thought. I'm from that area, but I now live in another state.
My first post was to get opinions about it, but since I'll be getting one later than expected.......I'll get a new one from Carlton. That's why I asked questions about the new ones in another thread. It looks like that's what I'll probaby be doing.

Later,
Mitch

The guy has one feedback and it is negative. I'd be a little a scared of buying anything from him.

I've been running the small gas Kohler engines for years. No big problems other than not much power.

Carlton demoed a small machine with the Vanguard to me. If I used my small machine more I would trade, the power difference was significant.

I just don't use my small machine that much. Only when I have to.

27HP Kohler Gas

The Kohler 27 hpgas engine is the same one that carlton uses on their 2000 walk behind grinder.
Vermeer uses it on their SC252.
I think it may be a bit too small for use on a SP4012, for my intended use anyway.
I've heard from others, like yourself, that's it's a little underpowered. I also hear that it's a reliable gas engine.

Probably not enough torque for that size machine.

My next door neighbor had a willow tree blow over in a wind storm about a month ago. I'm not sure the exact species of tree, the stump diameter was a little over 3 ft. dia. It had a few 4-6 inch dia. roots radiating out from the trunk along the surface of the ground also.
Judging by the look of the machine, it didn't look well maintained. No telling how sharp or dull the teeth were either.
It took a little over 4 hours for the operator to grind that stump with the Vermeer SC252 (Kohler 27 HP gas). The operator didn't appear too competent, so it's hard to judge objectively the performance or lack of it, in this case. Because of these factors......the grinder did bog down alot while cutting, I'm guessing not enough torque to handle the depth of cut the guy was taking?

Take care,
Mitch

Latest posts

Back