Stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree*monkey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Do you guys dig round you stumps before grinding to alleviate wear on the teeth or just grind away?

I always try to get as much soil away a possible

Do you guys dig round you stumps before grinding to alleviate wear on the teeth or just grind away?

I always try to get as much soil away a possible

Depends on how many and type of ground. I have to pick
and clear most of them here, rocky ground. But if its a bunch
of stumps and the bid tight. I will skit it and replace teeth later.

I'm only digging around to move rocks... I dont think dirt alone is going to dull the teeth very much.

I've don't both. I think that it can prevent dulling and broken teeth. Seems that cutting with a dull chain sucks, seems the same with a grinder, or file, or sandpaper, or whatever. If you chew them up, you'll likely finish the job without changing them, taking extra time and wear on the machine. It can be a matter or shoveling up front, or spending time and money on teeth later.

Dig according to what you find. Get the rocks out. They can come shooting out and damage things or people.

i was wondering how a carbide tipped road plainer and the like cut concrete and tarmac all day long but as soon as you hit a few rock with the stump grinder its had it

Unless the tree has been mulched with gravel stone, I don't dig around the stump. I'll remove any rocks showing, and any rocks that show up, but I don't think you can dig deep enough to find a significant enough number of rocks to justify the time.

I find I need to sharpen teeth every 3-4 days anyways.

Like was said before it all depends on the job. We have a lot of sandy soil around here so it can do a number on your teeth. I try do dig around most of em or at least send a guy out to do it when theres nothing else to do. :D
sometimes I even use a blower if the soil gets loose enough. Def beats digging.

Latest posts

Back