Stupid Human Tricks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK....
My most embarrassing moment...
Working for a school which hadn't touched their trees in years...
There were a row of wild trees growing on the far side of a driveway from the school building and the trees had grow out so far many branches were actually laying on the side of the building, flatroof at abut 25-30'...
I had left my gloves on the chipper, back on the other side of the property, so I asked my co-workers to start by cutting all the branches off the building.. Then When I got to cutting I was about to remove a limb at the trunk and one of the groundmen suggested I tie it off... I knew it was going to clear the building so I waved that idea off.... What I didn't notice is that the branch I was cutting was supporting another big hanger... which fell tip first, and the butt kicked back into the first floor classroom window... shattering glass all over the this kid sitting in the back row..... fortunately he wasn't cut, but he was coverred in shards of glass... and sitting there with his shoulders all scrunched up...

I looked down at that then back up.... what's that noise???
OH a standing ovation from the second floor classroom who heard but couldn't see the mishap... The teacher upstais promptly shut the shades and shut the class up...

Well we went in later and I explained what had happenned to the second grade class... drew a diagram on the blackboard etc...
That was painful.... needless to say... I never worked for them again...

To this day there is no doubt in my mind, that if I hadn't left my gloves on the chipper, I would have been on the roof to cut the limbs and seen the potential danger... that's where beingf conscious comes in... One unconscious act can start a chain of events leading to a hard lesson....

Daniel has shown that he is a competent treeclimber.

Thank you Tim...
And that was a long time ago....
One of the ways I became competent is by learning from my mistakes... and trying to get some freebie lessons by learning from other's mistakes... Guess I've been lucky.... Thank God...

Here was a stupid human trick. We just had some powerful storm damage in recent days. Upon the final dropping of a trunk, at hour #31 of the second day of storm work, some PPE was lying on the bullseye. Oops.

this tree could easily turn into a stupid human mistake,might take it down next week along with 11 others 8 are walk in the park 3 are challenging this one is a hard tree.

same tree to left of truck,head has snapped out years ago(might get a mill log might not to)other to the right are coming out for road widening,very heavy dense wood(reglan)going to use 25 t cat ex with rotating grab and quik saw on clean up other trees are not to be damaged

Impressive wood there, Aussie

Do you know the Lucas Mill guys? They're out of Australia. Could be time to get creative because, as you know, it could go like clockwork, but the last 10% of the job could take 90% of the time. Climb safe, and become one with your Bigshot.
quote:
I figure TM will have that headset fixed by lunch.
If you look close at the shrapnel, you'll see evidence of past reconstructions. The electronics stayed strong from conception to it's untimely death. The most awesome ear protective radio headset I have ever used. Two years of bonding with that piece of PPE, and now (weep...) it's gone, its gone I tell you... :cry: :cry:

13165.jpg

yes i do know lucas mill, guy up the road has one for sale,there is a few truck loads of logs and having the exca there ill load em big,im goin o/s on the 10th so its this week or they will have to wait. the troops have been rounded up and my two main climbers have looked at job.it should take all week but with the exca there i think two and a half days,starting with the hardest first.

Treeman 82's thread caused me to remember this; Once I jumped in the chipper truck, with my 2 man crew, and took off. After a quarter-mile or so, I noticed/saw/heard the chipper feed table was still down. I stopped and went back to close it. An old man in a pick-up pulled up and asked me if we had lost a saw. Sure enough, we were missing our 044.
He said he saw it fall off the chipper, and was trying to get it back to us. I felt like a dillhole.

Im sorry Im new to this site but who is thisBestGm clown.going back a couple of pages you threw logs between houses and bragged about it!I found that funny,why would you do that in the first place?I have always advocated being able to handle the job without heavy equipment first when you have mastered that then use the crane bucket and so on.But you just sound rediculous .I CAN SHOW YOU and gladly would,maybe you can open that thick head of yours a bit and understand that it is never to late to learn.

Welcome to site, he has been flushed but will probably return shortly as some new screen name. As annoying as he is some of his comments are funny, especially the one about 'puking chunks from working so hard while the rest of the crew collapsed'
That was a classic!:D

ive seem him back here as "trees company" but no posts maybe he cant post anymore?

I love that guy. Why can't he post anymore? Why flush him out? How is that fair? I really want to hear more from this guy. Someone start a poll on should give him lifetime imunity. We shouldn't get rid this clown. It gives me something to talk and laugh about all day.

Roachy recalls a guy we had who wanted to bomb chunks down from a 90 foot white spar. That didn't over too well. I believe said that was how it was done also. This guy carried a cambium saver with him everywhere that he said was for lowering. We never gave the man a job that required lowering but yet he still carried it with him along with his two big ass lanyards. He also had a 9/16 double braid rope someone had sold him for a climbing line he wanted me to splice for him. I think the rope was bigger than he was. Maybe hes a member here.

Whats up Quincy?

Latest posts

Back