Stupid move

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Red saw lover
Reaction score
So yesterday confirmed I'm officially a firewood junkie. I have a woods full of tops I'm contracted to be in for personal wood until Dec. My county has been murdering roadside trees as if it was Jeffery Dahmer this winter and I've held my ground. Well, they got some cherry close-by and it's a premium seller. I held pat. Then, late last week they got a big one along with a couple others in a "friend of the family's" field and I couldn't resist. I have no business cutting here but it was too easy. Ten minutes away drive right up next to it. Who could resist right? RIGHT??!!!?!? No doubt I'm a junkie now.IMAG0865.jpg
There's the cherry after we'd mostly brushed it. Got two trailer loads and a freind a good 12' saw log and we're not halfway through it.IMAG0866.jpg
And then this white oak. The track hoe in the background is all the county is using to manipulate the trees.

Not sure if this is a brag post or cry for help.

So yesterday confirmed I'm officially a firewood junkie. I have a woods full of tops I'm contracted to be in for personal wood until Dec. My county has been murdering roadside trees as if it was Jeffery Dahmer this winter and I've held my ground. Well, they got some cherry close-by and it's a premium seller. I held pat. Then, late last week they got a big one along with a couple others in a "friend of the family's" field and I couldn't resist. I have no business cutting here but it was too easy. Ten minutes away drive right up next to it. Who could resist right? RIGHT??!!!?!? No doubt I'm a junkie now.View attachment 487705
There's the cherry after we'd mostly brushed it. Got two trailer loads and a freind a good 12' saw log and we're not halfway through it.View attachment 487706
And then this white oak. The track hoe in the background is all the county is using to manipulate the trees.

Not sure if this is a brag post or cry for help.
Being a firewood hoarder is hard work but you can handle it:chainsaw::cheers:

Well, plenty of alternatives out there, like..spend a thousand bucks for a bag of sticks, pay huge short term rent to go walk around in someone's pasture and hit a little white ball with one of the sticks..at the end of the day you get a nice little card with numbers on it....

Hmmmm. You got me thinkin, Zogger. Wonder how much I have invested in my hobby. 5 chain saws. Front end loader. Hydraulic splitter. Various axes and mauls. 18 foot trailer to haul all this and the resultant spoils of war. How many golf clubs can you buy for, say, $30,000 or so? But I am solidly with you bud. I sit here tonight in front of a huge open fire with a bottle of Elija Craig, 3 cords seasoned wood remaining for this year , 5 cords green wood already in captivity for next year and 3 more cords in the field waiting for my attention, and consider my investment Very Well Made thank you.

Saw 5 sticks wrapped in celophane at the Shell station this morning as I fueled up for the day. $6.25. At that rate, my evening fire was worth $50, and last Friday's pasture party would have cost $250. Somebody else was selling it on the road 12 cu ft for $45. Makes my present stash worth $3,840 with $1440 laying out in the field just waiting to be picked up. And I have already witnessed $1500 going up in smoke (and light, and heat, and good fellowship, and good exercise) so far this winter.

Nope. Dont need no little card with numbers on it to remind me how I spent my day.

They are just pushing it into the right of way or skidding it to properties that asked for it during a survey last fall. People got stakes with an orange painted end and they pounded it in where they want wood brought. I guess I didn't think about it this all could end up disappearing. As soon as some of the mess we got today is gone I will stay right back after it. Not worried in the least though, I have more tops than I can cut waiting for me when the conditions improve.

At least you have the right saw for the job!

Congratulation on the wood!

They are just pushing it into the right of way or skidding it to properties that asked for it during a survey last fall. People got stakes with an orange painted end and they pounded it in where they want wood brought. I guess I didn't think about it this all could end up disappearing. As soon as some of the mess we got today is gone I will stay right back after it. Not worried in the least though, I have more tops than I can cut waiting for me when the conditions improve.

Hope you have permission, the right of way belongs to the property owner. Here in Wisconsin the property line is the center of the road way.

Hope you have permission, the right of way belongs to the property owner. Here in Wisconsin the property line is the center of the road way.
Not everyplace in Wisconsin. 40 to 50 years ago the county bought the right of way from the landowners. That happened before I bought my place. You will have to check each county to see who owns the right of way.

Huh? Maybe go up and read the first post in this thread again. It's all on the up and up for me. The idea of filling a load and then having to dump it back out on the ground is enough motivation for me to always make sure I have permission.

*edit* I see where the confusion could be. The "I have no business" line only means I have plenty of tops to get to elsewhere so I shouldn't mess with this.

Latest posts

Back