Stupid newbie question/problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbertbloosfan

Reaction score
Have a problem with my saw. It is a cheapo poulan 2375 (40cc, 18" bar). I never intended to use it in the manner it was used Monday morning. That is, cleaning up my parents farm after an F3 tornado. They needed all the saws they could get so I sped down to the farm and started cutting with this little thing. Only second time I had used it (about a year old). Anyway, it cut fine for about an hour and then I turned it off for lunch. Went back to start it and the cord will not pull more than an inch or two before it stops-solid. Topped off the bar oil (it was at maybe a 1/2) and also topped the tank with 40:1 premix. Still no pull. Any suggestions?
Tried to pull the plug but it is suuuuper tight and I could not budge it. That seems like a bad sign. Tried all kinds of hand squeezes on the "safety" triggers and such, but the cord will absolutely not pull more than 1 or 2 inches.
Sorry to burden with a problem, but I would like to either get this fixed asap or buy a new (better) saw as there is still plenty of brush to cut off fences and such.
Thanks for your time.

Thank you Mssr. Squirrel. I figured the key might be the spark plug. I don't think the cord is jammed, it looked ok, but will try that first. Then, i spose I just wrench on that darn plug untill one of us gives up. Will have to break down and buy a deep 3/4 as i do not own one. Thanks again for the (very) quick reply.

While you're already in a "buying'' mood, might I suggest that you take a trip down to your local Stihl dealer and give him $274 of your money for a new MS250?? I think that will work a whole lot better for you! Right Mr.Squirrel??:D :D

i dont know bud ,the recoil on some of those green saws are made to last ,oh mabe a day or so. i took 2 back to lowes .
both would nearly break your arm..
the first i took back ,the salesman wanted to know what was the problem. i told him to give it a pull.he did ,and promptly begin grimacing ,and holding his arm. his comment. yea theys somethin wrong alrite. that was the end of that discussion.

I would tend to agree with Brian<font size="-1">("Rocky")</font>'s last statement more than anything, but just to rule out a wedged rewind mechanism I'd probably reach in with a thin screwdriver and see if the flywheel would turn at all (or maybe via the clutch if it were outboard).&nbsp; There's a possibility the rope got itself tied in a knot or otherwise wrapped up, or something of that nature; although not likely.

Glen

You came to the right place to ask questions about chainsaws. Someone here will be able to help, cheap saw or not. My dad has a poulan with a similar problem, come to think of it. HHHhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I have seen a starter cord that was released-fly back in and throw a loop around things it shoudn't. That is my first guess. I hope you didn't seize it/blow something. Plenty of good advice. around these hyar parts.:)

Take the spark plug out. Take the recoil side cover off and see if the flywheel tuns freely. If it does not turn freely (except for a slight magneto drag), take off the muffler and look at the condition of the exhaust side of the piston.

Let us know what you find.

My, my. What a forum when you get all these responses to a typical newb/dips**t question. I am really floored by it. Anyway, since last nite was my first evening with my family in a week, I did not look at the saw once. I am picking up a good socket today at lunch and will tear into it once the kiddies are sleepin tonite. I did have the cover off whilst in the field and the rope looks to be coiled smoothly (no knots or loops thrown over the pulley). But I will certainly check it all out tonite when I really start takin things apart.
Yea, a stihl would've been nice. Of the 4-5 saws down at dads this week, all but mine were stihls - and all were still going strong last I heard. I have plenty of experience with Dads "farm boss" as he heats with wood and it was my job from about age 12-17 to keep the stacks high. But, this Poulan was last years Fathers Day gift from wifey and I could not really take it back (and live to see the light of another day, that is). The poulan is prolly ok for all that I would ever use it for, but for sawing 100ft oaks off'en the barn, not so good. Anyway, I'll let you know how it looks as soon as I can get to it.
Wow, thanks again for all the adivce.

Many cheapo saws are bought as gifts. I can feel your pain.

Guys have trouble telling the medium and heavy duty saws from the rest. What is female buyer going to choose? A chain saw is a chain saw , right?

Back