suckers around base of live oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloridaTrees

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We have several old large live oaks in our yard. One in particular near the house I would like to plant a bed of split leaf philodendron or something around. My problem with this tree is that for probably four or more feet from the base of the tree it sends up a DENSE thicket of sucker trees which we now just mow over. They are impossible to pull out...and would just come back, I am assuming. Does anyone have any ideas to get around this unappealing sight?

There are several variants of live oak - all tend to reproduce vegetatively by producing root suckers. Old motts illustrate this behavior by several trees at the same age (identical clones).

Acorns alone don't promise much reproductive capacity - most of those suckers are attached to the tree you've singled-out for landscape.

Florel (r) can be used successsfully, a non-permiabe landscape cloth underneath the mulch, or diligent cutting of the small stems but remember, anything you do short of burying the growths will be the same as wounding the vascular system - disease vectors could enter the tree as a result, but your area is so far pretty innocent of the major diseases for live oaks currently.

Sucker stopper works too - but in our area not so well (Central texas). It's part of the natural life cycle of the live oak, we're just trying to alter that. Good luck.

A nursery near my house has a set of live oaks and digs the volunteers up and sells them for about $5.00 each. A nursery south of my house sells 4 year old live oaks for about $700.00 each installed with a 1 year warranty. Amazing what a few years difference can make.

live oak?

I've been told these are live oaks....with long nearly horizontal branches spreading out...
At any rate, not all of them have suckers like this, just this one particular one.

A few here and there would be normal, but not a "Dense" area of growth. I would bet that the tree is stressed due to heavy pruning or some construction damage. Look up top are the tips dieing? Has the grade been changed in the area recently? See some nice big flush cuts?
(recently I'd say is the last 3-5yrs)
Greg

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Sucker stopper by Monterey Chemical. A number of lawn chemical suppliers in my area carry it.

I cannot buy Sucker Stopper locally,do you know the active ingredient so I may find something at Lesco?

:)

No, it's a napthalene. Close molecular structure to the chemical signalling agents of the volatiles. They dictate quite an impressive series of response.

Cambi is a whole 'nuther ballgame.

Disturbed roots of Live Oaks in Fla. will sucker like crazy. Sucker Stopper dosn't phase em. I'v tried recommended treatments. It's a Problem with no cure.

Latest posts

Back