Sudden Leaf Drop in Willow Tree!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marianne

Reaction score
Over the past several days my 10 year old willow tree has suddenly dropped all of its leaves. The leaves have not been chewed and we haven't yet noticed any insects. However, there are many woodpecker holes in the trunk and the bark seems to be turning a darker color.

I live in very hot weather, it was very dry this spring but rained daily for about the past three weeks - then stopped consistenly raining, and all the leaves dropped.

Does anyone have any ideas???? I need help ASAP - it's a VERY sentimental tree, has been saved from 3-4 hurricanes and I don't want to lose it!

Marianne, please post some pictures. It will help us, help you.

Are the branches brittle or is there still life in them? The "bark during dark" sounds suspiciously like fungal activity is present. However, I would not want to go there without seeing photos.

Sylvia

I am seeing something similar here in the Texas panhandle. So far I have seen 8 willows of varying sizes die suddenly for no apparent reason. I don't think it's a lack of water or the summer heat. We have recieved 5" of rain in the last 45 days and yet the willows in town continue to decline. I know of one from a yard I worked on recently that had complete leaf loss and died in less than 20 days. I suspect fungal as you suggested S Mc, but I'm not 100% sure.

Latest posts

Back