Suggestion on insalling an insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTREES

LTREES

ArboristSite Operative
I'm trying to help a family member put in his insert (used Quadra-fire). The 6" flex pipe comes down to the baffle area. The baffle in this fire place is up in the front (some say this is a heatalator style?) . Most that I've seen are more to the rear or center of the fire place. The angle is impossible to maneuver and squeeze into a 5 1/2" opening of the baffle. My suggestion is a saws-all and to cut out 2". Then maybe we could make that bend. I understand that the baffle will never go back in and if you wanted the fire place back :monkey: it would provably be fine except the closing it off, which you would have to use another method. I need some advice on this one. Like I said before I would cut it if it was mine, don't get me wrong I'm not cutting the the whole back out . Just a trim. Thanks.

LT...

Blowncrewcab

Blowncrewcab

ArboristSite Guru
I actually cut mine out totally, but I have no plans of going back. the woodstove works 10 times better than a fireplace, it's the only heat I have and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Toddppm

Toddppm

Addicted to ArboristSite
I cut mine with a sawzall only where I needed to fit my 8" pipe. What a terrible design that heatalator is anyways, the whole top above the damper was flat and had 6" of crap built up in it which rusted through completely and was barely holding together. I ended up smashing that part down behind the box. The steel is thick though, maybe 3/16 th? The sawzall was a PIA, I didn't have a good cutoff wheel at the house when I did it. No plans to ever try and fix it later.
I also had to buy an adapter boot that had an angle tilting back into the box where it attaches to the insert. With that I still had to bend the pipe a little to fit.

LTREES

LTREES

ArboristSite Operative
Guys, thanks for backing me up on this one. I put a small V in my fire place to get the pipe in. I since then got a CB and the insert is the back up for that, and oil baseboard is the third heating system in my house. I don't think it raises the house appraisal, but it would surely be plus for the sale when ever I do. I got to find a new blade, or this is a preemo position for a new tool (cut off saw) pre Christmas. Have a blessed and warm thanksgiving to all at A.S.

LT...