Suggestions for entry level chip truck ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondnstream

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi

I’m helping a young tree climber get established with his own equipment so he doesn’t have to use rentals and become more established as a tree service operator. We recently got a good, used 12” chipper (Olath 986) . He has a dump trailer but without a chip truck he has to make two trips to the job site and two trips home, very inefficient.

Does anyone have a suggestion(s) for a first chip truck configuration. I’m thinking that any chip truck pretty much has to have a dump bed but maybe there are clever solutions that a non-dump truck could work. What’s a reasonable used truck we should look that can handle pulling the chipper and a load of chips.

Thanks.

Hi

I’m helping a young tree climber get established with his own equipment so he doesn’t have to use rentals and become more established as a tree service operator. We recently got a good, used 12” chipper (Olath 986) . He has a dump trailer but without a chip truck he has to make two trips to the job site and two trips home, very inefficient.

Does anyone have a suggestion(s) for a first chip truck configuration. I’m thinking that any chip truck pretty much has to have a dump bed but maybe there are clever solutions that a non-dump truck could work. What’s a reasonable used truck we should look that can handle pulling the chipper and a load of chips.

Thanks.
I would get a 3500 series mason dump with 4wd and build a box .

Hi

Thanks.
1 ton dump truck with a wooden chipbox is the most cost effective. but save your money and get a higher capacity truck fast because dumping 8 times a day isnt fun at all

Oh and this one I bought a long time ago. 87 f350. Prepowerstroke 7.3 diesel. Somehow I only paid 1800 for this.

1657722910681.png

Later added a fancy shmancy chip top.
1657722862997.png

Eventually the truck died and I put the chip body on an f550
1657723006096.png
This truck is still rolling the streets of Los Angeles since I sold the original company.

Back