• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Super Split Special Edition Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dp0350

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am selling a Super Split (Supersplitter) Special Edition model with the production table. This model comes with a commercial Honda 9HP gear reduction motor. It is the top of the line model made by Super Split and has all the available options (production table and off-road trailer tow hitch). I am selling it becuase we are having an outdoor wood burner installed and I no longer have a need to split fine firewood. The splitter was purchased new this year and was used to split less than 2 cords of wood. It was always kept indoors, never rained on and always perfectly maintained. Except for some paint wear on the wedge, it is in 100% like new condition.
The splitter was $4,000 new. $275 for the production table, $100 for the trailer hitch and about $200 for crating and shipping. Over $4,500 spent.

Asking $3,700 pickup in Easton, PA.
photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 5.JPG
Pics added.

Its been over a month now, how is the splitter? How does the gear reduction work?
I'll be frank with you, I have no real idea what the gear reduction does. I suppose it smooths out the operation but I'm not sure. I start it and let it idle warm for a minute and then turn it to full throttle and start splitting. I can't keep up with the machine . Even with one helper I couldn't quite keep up. It cuts through just about anything. If you have a really hideous piece that's all gnarly it can get stuck. I have had it happen twice in two cords. I just pried it off the wedge with a crow bar. The two stuck pieces were uglies that never would have made it to a customers pile. I'm glad I bought it.

I have the same Special Edition Super Split as well. Mine is about 1980 vintage.
I bought it as a basket case 20 years ago and completly rebuilt it. It now has
the Honda 9 HP motor. I've split well over 200 cord with it and have done nothing
but replace the original motor. Absolutly love it.

Lee

Good afternoon. I've been researching log splitters for the last several months. I am active duty Air Force and stationed out in CA. Prior to this we lived in the Midwest and heated our home primarily with wood. I had a hydraulic "cub cadet" splitter that worked good but was slow. Anyhow we are trying to move back to the mid-west as soon as possible so in the mean time I have been researching and planning. My question is, what is the advantage of the "special edition" Super Split over the HD one? Besides the larger 9 hp engine of course? Is it built heavier duty, split larger rounds... Ect? Anyhow considering that all of my spare time hobbies (I.e farming, splitting wood, building, fabricating, and anything else outdoorsy) are non existent here in Northern CA I've been thinking about building a hydraulic splitter for fun. I've read so many good reviews of the SS that I'm considering scrapping the idea of building a hydraulic one and just ordering a SS Special Edition when we move back.

Good afternoon. I've been researching log splitters for the last several months. I am active duty Air Force and stationed out in CA. Prior to this we lived in the Midwest and heated our home primarily with wood. I had a hydraulic "cub cadet" splitter that worked good but was slow. Anyhow we are trying to move back to the mid-west as soon as possible so in the mean time I have been researching and planning. My question is, what is the advantage of the "special edition" Super Split over the HD one? Besides the larger 9 hp engine of course? Is it built heavier duty, split larger rounds... Ect? Anyhow considering that all of my spare time hobbies (I.e farming, splitting wood, building, fabricating, and anything else outdoorsy) are non existent here in Northern CA I've been thinking about building a hydraulic splitter for fun. I've read so many good reviews of the SS that I'm considering scrapping the idea of building a hydraulic one and just ordering a SS Special Edition when we move back.

I'm not sure of the differences in the current models but back a few years there
were a few. The bigger motor, The ram is 3 inch instead of 2.5 inch, The flywheels
are 100 pounds each verses 75 pounds. The special edition was rated at 18 ton verses
15 ton. I'm sure if you go on line you can find the current differences.
Me personally, I would spend the extra and by the special edition. I have run both
and the special edition is worlds apart.

Lee

Call Paul at Super Split, he's great to talk with about this stuff.
I bought the basic J model 4-1/2 years ago and would do it again. Love it!!!

Latest posts

Back