Super Split Splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshy

285 Killa
Reaction score
Marshy submitted a new Showcase Item:

Super Split

Model J:
The J model is the original SuperSplit design, featuring twin 75-lb flywheels, a 2-inch wide rack gear, and a rigid pusher design which pivots on the two bearings that travel under the top flange of the I-beam. The advantage is minimal resistance for the spring returning the rack gear to the start position at the end of the forward stroke. The disadvantage is an increased space under the pusher, potentially allowing for the increased possibility of debris getting lodged and causing resistance to the return spring. It is important in all models to keep the top surface of the I-beam relatively clean in order to address this issue. This is not a design flaw, but rather is inherent to the design of the kinetic splitter.
Nearly 90% of all SuperSplit machines currently in service are 75-lb units. They are excellent for what I loosely refer to as “average hardwoods.” They will split extra-tough pieces as well, but may require multiple hits on occasion and a better eye towards reading the grain. As an example, I spoke with a customer that had split 500 cords with his 75-lb machine that year. His first machine had been stolen a few years prior; and when asked if he wanted to step up to the 100-lb unit when re-purchasing, he said he had never come across something he couldn't split with his 75-lb SuperSplit, and ordered another.

Model HD:

Since 2012, the HD model has featured twin 90-lb flywheels (previously 75-lb), a two-and-a-quarter-inch wide rack gear, and a pivoting pusher design with four bearings traveling under the top flange of the I-beam. The pivot point for the rack gear is a hardened 5/8-inch shoulder bolt located above the I-beam, just behind the pusher plate. The advantage to this design is the consistent space between the I-beam and the pusher plate, resulting in less chance of debris getting between the two and causing resistance on the return stroke. Again, keeping the surface of the I-beam relatively clean is still important with any SuperSplit model.

Read more about this showcase item here...

Latest posts

Back