Champion log splitter review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al-k

cuten wood
Reaction score
I bought this about a month ago when I realized I have about 25 good sized oaks to come down. My old splitter is a 20 ton and slow. This one is a 27 ton and has a 11 second cycle.
First thing I would say is it's not a heavy duty machine but I believe it will be fine for the 50 cords or so I have to do.
I have run about 5 cords so far and there are thing's I like and dislike. One thing I didn't like was it leaked hydraulic oil from the first time I started it. Called the factory and they had me take in in for service. Waited about a week and got the call all set come and get it. When I showed up to pick it up there is a puddle under it, the guy swears it wasn't leaking and tightened the hose clamp on the feed to the pump runs it for about a minute and it's out of gas. He did put a new hydraulic pump on it. Put it to work the next day and it leaks bad, its coming from the feed line from the tank to the pump. It seems to be plenty tight but I noticed no vent hole in the cap on hydro tank like my old one. Look in the manual and it should have one, now it dose and no more leak's.
Some of the thing's I like are that it starts on the first or second pull. I didn't time it but it runs a long time on a tank of fuel.(0.9 gal.) I really like the wedge design IMG_20180715_074133645.jpg the flare on the wedge opens up the splits nice.IMG_20180715_074118549.jpg The top of the wedge grabs first and pulls the wood down to the beam. One of the things I don't like is the beam, the wedge rides in a Channel and makes it difficult to roll split pieces on it. My old one had a I beam and the wedge clamped on and could be adjusted as it wore. The channel also holds a lot of debris that you have to clean out often.IMG_20180715_074210637.jpg At first I didn't think the log cradles would be big enough but they seem to be fine so far. Have not had much time in the horizontal position, all big stuff so far. https://photos.app.goo.gl/wguyUGE9f7kF9PYD8 One other thing I didn't like was the motor had no protection so I made this out of some re-bar. May still put some expanded metal on top, but will have to lift it to horizontal to fuel it.IMG_20180712_121751728.jpg All in all I'm happy with it for the $999.00 I paid for it. IMG_20180711_083109041.jpg Some of what it's done so far.

Champion may not be the best but they are decent pieces of equipment. I have a generator that has been used a ton and still works great and all I do is keep fresh gas in it and change the oil once a year. Thanks for the review I’d like a new splitter but I got a cheap Troy built 27 ton with a Honda engine that hasn’t quit yet so no use to buy a new one. I’d have bought a better one but my dad quit burning wood and gave it too me so I can’t complain. Thanks for the review.

the motor had no protection so I made this out of some re-bar. May still put some expanded metal on top, but will have to lift it to horizontal to fuel it.
img_20180712_121751728-jpg.663177
Get a piece of metal bent to cup the rebar like j channel on two edges, to slide over the rebar. Slide off to fuel.

I bought this about a month ago when I realized I have about 25 good sized oaks to come down. My old splitter is a 20 ton and slow. This one is a 27 ton and has a 11 second cycle.
First thing I would say is it's not a heavy duty machine but I believe it will be fine for the 50 cords or so I have to do.
I have run about 5 cords so far and there are thing's I like and dislike. One thing I didn't like was it leaked hydraulic oil from the first time I started it. Called the factory and they had me take in in for service. Waited about a week and got the call all set come and get it. When I showed up to pick it up there is a puddle under it, the guy swears it wasn't leaking and tightened the hose clamp on the feed to the pump runs it for about a minute and it's out of gas. He did put a new hydraulic pump on it. Put it to work the next day and it leaks bad, its coming from the feed line from the tank to the pump. It seems to be plenty tight but I noticed no vent hole in the cap on hydro tank like my old one. Look in the manual and it should have one, now it dose and no more leak's.
Some of the thing's I like are that it starts on the first or second pull. I didn't time it but it runs a long time on a tank of fuel.(0.9 gal.) I really like the wedge design View attachment 663167 the flare on the wedge opens up the splits nice.View attachment 663168 The top of the wedge grabs first and pulls the wood down to the beam. One of the things I don't like is the beam, the wedge rides in a Channel and makes it difficult to roll split pieces on it. My old one had a I beam and the wedge clamped on and could be adjusted as it wore. The channel also holds a lot of debris that you have to clean out often.View attachment 663174 At first I didn't think the log cradles would be big enough but they seem to be fine so far. Have not had much time in the horizontal position, all big stuff so far. https://photos.app.goo.gl/wguyUGE9f7kF9PYD8 One other thing I didn't like was the motor had no protection so I made this out of some re-bar. May still put some expanded metal on top, but will have to lift it to horizontal to fuel it.View attachment 663177 All in all I'm happy with it for the $999.00 I paid for it. View attachment 663180 Some of what it's done so far.
That rebar idea is a good one , we always have scrap rebar at work so I think I might have a project to do next time our welder shows up on the job.

Back