Super Split Tube and Engagement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benwelder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm hoping some of the Super Split owners and enthusiasts can help me out.

I just picked up a used super split and when running it for the first time when the ram fully retracts, it just barely hits the gear, so it will sit there and knock-knock-knock against the gear. I quickly shut it down and check it out.

It appears the the previous owner removed the rectangular tube that the rack retracts into and welded it back on crooked so when the ram retracts the rack hits the top of the tube which pushes the rack down into the gear. How is the tube suppose to look on the splitter? I was just going to cut the welds and weld it back on straight but though I should probably see how it is suppose to go first.

Also the engagement mechanism doesn't automatically cycle forwards when the handle is raised and it appears that again the previous owner modified it so it doesn't auto-forwards. What is missing in this?

Thanks in advance!

Super Split 1.jpg Super Split 2.jpg Super Split 3.jpg Super Split 4.jpg

Attachments

• Super Split 1.jpg
    Super Split 1.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 170
  • Super Split 2.jpg
    Super Split 2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Super Split 3.jpg
    Super Split 3.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Super Split 4.jpg
    Super Split 4.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 120
Man, that splitter has been highly modified and not in a good way. There is a spring that holds the rack up off the pinion, that would be the first thing to look at... Hope you can get it running right

Yeah.... "modified" lol, that's a good word for it. I pulled off the engine so I could work on the tube section. Looks like there is some 1/2" bar stock underneath the tube that hey just welded a big weave over top of... I haven't been able to find close up photo's to see if the tube is suppose to be resting directly on the beam or raised up off of it.

I got a manual from Paul and it says you are suppose to be able to adjust the engagement mechanism and the simple sketch shows a couple of bolts but there doesn't seem to be any adjustment bolts on mine. Anyone else have a super split engagement like this?

So after I got bored this afternoon, a couple of cutting wheels and a half a grinding wheel later..... Now I just have to clean up the beam, clean off all the old grease etc...

Super Split 5.jpgSuper Split 6.jpg Super Split 7.jpgSuper Split 8.jpg Super Split 9.jpg

Really? Does anyone have a HD Supersplit that can get some close up photo's of the tube to beam welded area and the engagement mechanism?

If nobody shows up for you, keep bumping this to the top, things get a lil slow in the summer, but sooner or later somebody will be able to help.
Have you used the search feature? I would think there may be pics from an earlier thread? 'Course, the big hack last year screwed that up on the older threads...you checked Utube? Or just Google HD Supersplit pics?

Thanks guys. I did give Paul a call the other day and true to form, he was super helpful and friendly. He helped me out with what is important to line up. I'll just clean it up, get everything aligned properly, and weld it back up. Shouldn't be a problem.

Super Split10.jpg Super Split11.jpg Super Split12.jpg Super Split13.jpg Super Split14.jpg Super Split15.jpg Super Split16.jpg Just a project update on this. Cleaned everything up, tacked and welded it back together. There were several gouges and areas where the metal was just missing. Had to weld build these up to new condition. Fixed a couple other things. Cut off a bunch of the extra pieces added to hold on the make-shift cover and started painting. There was a groove down the middle of the beam from what I'm only guessing was an incorrect roller or worn out roller. Had to fill that in and blend it down smooth.

Some photographic evidence for your enjoyment.

I really like the highway towable feature, but they should have stopped there.:laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

Back