swamp log skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple that I have made for pulling logs and trees. Never had an issue with lifting the front end of my L35 but the one I have on my BIL's Kubota can lift the front end if you have a brain fart.
Orange one is built from an old 3 pth ditching bucket or stone boat or whatever you want to call it. I just took off the bucket and welded a bunch of hooks onto it. I welded a receiver on it too. It's on my BIL's little Kubota. I think I paid $10 for the bucket, my BIL painted it.
The black one is on my L35 and was a 3 pth 3 prong hale for fork before I reworked it. I welded on a couple of receivers so I could pull my wagon or whatever. I also added a top receiver to get some leverage, I have a bunch of different length 2" tubes for the top hitch, one is 36" long and will lift pretty good to keep the log out of the dirt. . Right now my weight box is on the top hitch. I just lower it, back into the slot and pick up the box, it bounces around and sways back and forth but at least I don't have to get off the tractor to hook up to it. I just wrap a couple of chains around the top hitch. I have a bunch of hooks welded on it in several places. I've pulled a couple of hooks right off it when I've been playing with big wood. Paid around $75 for the bale spear to start with.
IMG-20111010-00079.jpg IMG-20111010-00080.jpg
IMG_00000556.jpg IMG_00001767.jpg IMG_00001768.jpg IMG_00001770.jpg

I've traveled the world twice now, trust me we don't have hills in these swamps. Hell to be honest what they call hills are mole hills.

This thread has really got me antsy to get home this wekend. I am in the process of building a 3pt log skidder. I can't wait to post some pictures of this build.

I like that orange one. I've got one of those implements as well, wish I'd have thought about using it. It looks good

Well despite the small rain we for last night I couldn't take not knowing if that thing worked or would hold up. Steve was right at full lift on the three point hooked to something bigger than normal and wedged into the ground she will rare up. This is the top that got blown out 5 months ago. Its about 20 inches across and 60 ish feet long. Some asked about the blade, turns out that for moving sticks and what nots to make a clean place to hook up its pretty darn handy. So far I have impressed myself with shear luck of design. Oh and try as I did I couldn't break it so I guess it will last.

Attachments

• IMG_20141215_132225_313.jpg
    IMG_20141215_132225_313.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20141215_131842_860.jpg
    IMG_20141215_131842_860.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 32
i was just eyeballing a set in the fargo store this weekend. i have a timber tuff??? brand one now that goes to 25" but the roughneck ones claim to go to 32

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/timber-tuff-swivel-grab-skidding-tongs/0000000038042
0000000038042.jpg

I can't say that they will actually go that big, but it looks like they will and tats why I bought them. While this little tractor couldn't dream to pull logs that size, my mahindra can and has all day long. But the mahindra is only a full size tractor with a 7k weight advantage. When I start back clearing off my farm I'll use this tool and the mahindra and take a few pics. If this tool can be broke that tractor will brake it or bend it at an idle.

That's a neat looking piece of metal there. How well does it work on the smaller, 12", and less trees?

FWIW, I have a small 30 hp compact tractor with a rated lift capacity of only 2200# 24" behind the lift arms. I use NH Chinese 32" tongs. The flats on the tongs will bend before I break something else. The steel is so mild I can straighten them in the field. A word of caution, the first pair I bought did not have enough upward slant to the points to work. NH replaced them without hassle. For a real tractor, I would suggest true logging grade tongs. Ron

Back