Swiss cheese citrus tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eleath

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
On cleaning up a badly butchered grapefruit tree with no protection to any previous pruning sites I was bemuzed, (being English,) to find that the piece I took off resembled swiss cheese. Wood boring something has made holes around 1/2 to 3/4 inches (12 to 20 mm) diameter.

The remains of the grub left in the hole (silly thing thought it was safe from the chain saw) looked like the pictures of the laval anoplophora glabripennis. However, I am hoping that Google has led me astray and that this is in fact some other more common local bug.

Area:- Cape Canaveral Florida
Tree Grape fruit
Symptoms consistant with wood borer attack and aphid infestation and fungal infection.
Flight holes from 1/8 to 5/8 diameter
Rotten limbs (now removed)
Bare wounds now dressed and pitched.
Overgrown area of 'natural' tropical woodland, (breathing space now being cleared by 'specimine' trees.
Ground to foot of 'specimine trees' now being mulched
Fungicide and insecticide spray schedules being started.

Any suggestions as to further action?

I do temperate maritime climate as in England so no experience yet of tropical habits so any suggestions would be very welcome.

Do NOT mulch citrus trees. They don't like it. Just clear the turf and leave bare ground.

Latest posts

Back