synthetic oil on sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATTYB11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, I don't know how many of you use full synthetic in your trucks, cars, splitters, ect. but I was in advanced auto parts the other day and they had Valvoline full synthetic (all grades) buy 1 get 1 free. It came out to be about $2.75 a quart! I bought a bunch of them and thought I might pass along the info. The sale may only be till the end of the week though.

matt

Does anyone know why you SHOULDNT use synthetic oil? The owners manual for my Husky garden tractor with a Kohler engine says in BOLD print "Do not use Synthetic engine oil. Use only good quality 10-30w oil. Same for my Suzuki Z400 Quad Sport. For the suzuki, it makes sense, the clutch is wet clutch, and I understand that the Syn. will make the clutch slip due to the extra slip that Syn. has, but the Kohler?
Scratching my head on that one.

First I heard about Kohler. Most new engines the tolerances are so tight that synthetic helps. As for bike engines Harley has a synthetic out made for clutches, as I have heard. If not check out redline oil, one of my past service advisors was sponsored by redline for motorcycle:clap:

Doug

Does anyone know why you SHOULDNT use synthetic oil? The owners manual for my Husky garden tractor with a Kohler engine says in BOLD print "Do not use Synthetic engine oil. Use only good quality 10-30w oil.

I can't remember exactly what my dealer said, but it had something to with the valves or the lifters Kohler was using.

Does anyone know why you SHOULDNT use synthetic oil? The owners manual for my Husky garden tractor with a Kohler engine says in BOLD print "Do not use Synthetic engine oil. Use only good quality 10-30w oil. Same for my Suzuki Z400 Quad Sport. For the suzuki, it makes sense, the clutch is wet clutch, and I understand that the Syn. will make the clutch slip due to the extra slip that Syn. has, but the Kohler?
Scratching my head on that one.

I called kohler when I bought my new super z mower and talked to an engine tech and he recomended switching to synthetic oil after a 40 hour break in with my 27 hp kohler engine. Call kohler direct, you may hear something completly different then what the owners manual says. Thats been 3 or 4 years ago and my kohler is still runing like new with the synthetic oil and using no oil.

Thanks for the heads up on the Napa synthetic oil on sale. It is on sale here too. I bought a bunch at the $2.55 price. That is cheap for synthetic oil.

There may be a problem with 2-stroke engines. A friend of mine had a new Poulan saw. He used the sample of Poulan 2-stroke oil that came with it. When the saw siezed, he took it to the local warranty depot, and the first thing they asked him was if he'd used the oil that came with the saw.They told him they'd seen a lot of that lately. They blamed it on the synthetic oil Poulan was packing with their new saws. He's using generic oil with the replacement saw and hasn't had any more problems.

Back