Taco Pumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardyOWB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is everyone's experience with Taco Pumps? I had a 008 F6 bronze pump go on me last year (only its 2nd year of use). My Hardy has 2 pumps on it, the one that failed was for the domestic hot water heater. The heat exchanger for the domestic hot water is at the Hardy. The other pump runs the water to the heat exchanger to heat the house.

A few questons:
1. Can I save some money and use the cast iron pump instead of the bronze pump? I prefer not to save money in the short term to spend more in the long term. I probably already know the answer here, but figured I would ask anyway.
3. Is there a better brand of pump I should be using?
2. Instead of spending the money on a replacement pump for the domestic hot water should I buy a side arm heat exchanger and run 1 pump that will push water through both the side arm domestic water heat exchanger and the heat exhanger in the furnace?

Thanks

What is everyone's experience with Taco Pumps? I had a 008 F6 bronze pump go on me last year (only its 2nd year of use). My Hardy has 2 pumps on it, the one that failed was for the domestic hot water heater. The heat exchanger for the domestic hot water is at the Hardy. The other pump runs the water to the heat exchanger to heat the house.

A few questons:
1. Can I save some money and use the cast iron pump instead of the bronze pump? I prefer not to save money in the short term to spend more in the long term. I probably already know the answer here, but figured I would ask anyway.
3. Is there a better brand of pump I should be using?
2. Instead of spending the money on a replacement pump for the domestic hot water should I buy a side arm heat exchanger and run 1 pump that will push water through both the side arm domestic water heat exchanger and the heat exhanger in the furnace?

Thanks

I have had two Taco pumps mounted on my indoor wood/coal boiler for 18 years now with no problems-one used to deliver hot water for heating and another to balance system temperature between both boilers used only during the heating season-but since you are in new york as I am I only use system water pressure to move my domestic hot water.

There is no reason you can not use one pump with a plate heat exchanger to
absorb heat from the wood boiler for hot water, but you will want a pressure balancing valve after the water heater to avoid scalding accidents-nasty stuff.

:chainsaw: :clap: :popcorn: :givebeer:

I had a Taco 007 go bad on me a couple years ago and boil over my OWB. I have now switched to Bell and Gossett. I still have some taco pumps but use them for non-critical pumping.

I've seen many, many old Taco pumps, as well as Bell and Gosset, as well as Grundfos being that I'm in plumbing/heating for a living.

WE typically install Grundfos pumps in heating systems (they have a very nice three speed unit that is kind of like having three sizes in one pump so it fits MANY home heating applications), but haven't really seen any one brand that seems SO much better then another.

As for a DHW pump, it has to be a bronze pump if it's used for domestic water and actually pumps the water that flows in your plumbing system.

B&G little red Taco 007 and Grundfos all perform about the same I think Taco are a little more proven as far as residential go These happen to be about foolproof for many moons. no maintenence like B&G series 100 just keep an extea on hand along with a set of flange gaskets and make sure you have isolation valves and you will be back in business in about 15 minuits if you have a problem. And yes bronze has to be used on domestic because of the oxygen.

I have two 007's that are on going on their 7th year of service without problems. I have read on other posts that sometimes spinning the shaft manually will get the pump up and running again. Especially after sitting idle for the summer months. I keep a spare on hand also.

I have two TACO pumps an 011 and a 007 both bronze. They are two year sold and trouble free so far. Make sure your pumps are not misapplied, too big does not mean better and a mistake lots of installers make. Make sure that when running AND pumping water the voltage at the pump is up to spec. Running all the time instead of start stop should be better. Running them once a month when down in the summer should also help. Have heard all over the place about TACO quality. Some swear by them, some swear at them. The few that I am personally aware of that are not misapplied are trouble free.

Used B&G for years while I was in the HVAC biz, but Taco much better now..just getting ready to buy 2 009's for the primary loops from the CB. who has the cheapest price on Taco circ's right now?

Latest posts

Back