Taking the mill on the road will take you on some adventures.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backwoods

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I hope I am not to long winded here
Taking the mill on the road will take you on some adventures that you would never have thought possible when you are set up stationary. A 100-mile circle from my location will take me to the ocean and the top of the cascade mountain range. I have been seeing people on here asking the normal questions about “Portable Custom Milling” and getting good answers to there questions. However, one question I have not seen asked is “what skills besides being a sawyer are needed to go portable” I am sure others portable mill owners will help fill out with that list.
I had been set up on a nice big flat landing and the tree farmer had been bringing in a steady supply of nice straight clean logs that had not touched the ground other then when they bounced. He had a well thought out cut list and a full crew, he even had an adjustable height elevator to handle the tailings, and production was high. Then his tractor broke down and needed a part ordered.
I had a customer that I have milled for many times that just had a days worth of milling that he needed done. He is very meticulous and had three other sawyers’ mill for him before he found me. I let him know that I had changed trucks from a ½ ton 4x4 to a 16’ flat bed with a boom since the last time I milled for him, as I knew he always had limited access to his trees. He assured me that I would be able to make it up the hill and that there was “PLENTY” of room to turn the mill around. He was waiting to guide me in when I arrived and had me turn around at the neighbors mill (LT-40) so that we could head up a narrow trail that came into the gravel road at the wrong angle. After squeezing the mill thru a 10’ gate on a corner in fog so heavy that you could not see the tail end of the mill. We traveled around the hill thru cow pastures, then the goat trail took a turn straight up the side of the base of the mountain. That is where I spun out. Before I could get out of the truck he had backed up to the truck and his dad hooked a cable to the front of my truck and away we went up a steep, tight switch back narrow trail, about a mile and a half later we come to a flat spot about big enough for just the mill to sit on and there is a deck of logs there. He unhooked from me and he assured me that the turn around spot may look small but there would be room to turn around. We wind around the side of the mountain on a clay skid trail and at the end is a very small landing with a skidder broke down sitting where I need to put the truck. The truck and mill were longer then the landing. Therefore, I disconnected the mill and spun it around, turned the truck around and re hooked.
The site was tight but the milling went smoothly other then changing four saws due to rocks mud and clay that were imbedded in the logs, running the debarker helped but they were caked and the sparks were flying from both sides of the cut. I had parked the truck 5’ from the hitch on the mill, and when I went to hook back up to the mill he had to pull my truck back up the hill to the hitch. The views from up on the mountain were grate and 1st gear low range was plenty fast enough for coming down as it was starting to get dark. I could see his truck four switchbacks below me as I crawled off the mountain.

Other necessary skills should include off road driving and vehicle recovery.

I know others will say this is why they are not portable. However, this is part of why I am 100% portable. If you are portable share your adventures.

Nice story Backwoods. I don't get out of the city anywhere near often enough to mill and we have absolutely no mountains to speak of within thousands of miles so in some ways I envy the environment you guys have to work in.

Ya....nice story. I'm not a custom miller since I only use a csm but...I get out to many places for free to me trees from people using my 4WD and trailer combo. Some of these can be quite far off the paved road..all the way to no road. As for extra skills, moving any type of equipment around for a job...for sure 4 wheel experience as well as vehicle recovery. Not only do you need that experience...but the equipment to do without breaking your stuff while getting moving again. It's amazing that seemingly knowlegeable people will drive off the paved road without even a shovel and expect their street tired vehicle to get them back home again...fast and with clean 'shoes'. It's the little things that all add up. Backwoods choosing to take his time running down the mountain in Low range could have avoided an 'in the dark' vehicle recovery or equipment damage. Those are no fun.
As for adventures....I've had too many experiences whereby I enter a road that turns to a trail, that turns to nothing, on my way to an area I've visited before on my Motorcycle, or to GPS coords for 'the tree'. I play all day and enjoy myself. Upon leaving (tired, dirty, maybe getting dark) the trail is blocked with some knob who got stuck trying to follow my tracks in some pretend 4wd and street tires. I now 'have' to get them going so I can go home. Not the most fun way to end the day but sometimes I take home more cash than I left with. Oh the joys of public trails, or seasonal use roads that have fresh tracks on them. My check list now includes putting a paper on my dash reminding me to close gates behind me.

We are in the rainy season here. Yesterday I had the mill and the boom truck out in the back 40 of a farmer’s field. The trail leading to the backside of the field was slick and soft, but we made it in and out with out much to do and I am running street tires on the boom truck. The big Oak log that I loaded onto the truck helped with the traction issue.

Getting an empty truck into the area can be a problem. You never know if the weight will help get you out...or make it tougher. I pull a trailer (although small...but very little ground clearance) which can make it tougher getting out than it was getting in. All part of the 'fun' though.

Latest posts

Back