Taking the plunge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing .........ya might find even tho at the mo you wanna do the job .....after a few hard days ya might not like it..........or it might not like you

I realise this may be a a little late, but if I were you, I'd think twice about leaving your day-job. Acquiring your own climbing gear and saws while becoming proficient at tree/rope climbing in your own time while studying the science of arboriculture would seem to be solid advice. Being under the gun timewise in production treework is the salient reason why I stick to what I do best (mowing mainly) and take on tree work at my leisure. Thus, I only work in trees at the speed which I'm comfortable (which is probably pretty slow compared to most here), and never feel rushed or hurried which can be a real safety issue. I also have no problem turning down the really big, difficult and dangerous jobs because I have plenty of non-tree work to keep me occupied. So, my advice would be to not jump headlong into it, and start off easy. Also, at my age (north of 40) treework takes a lot out of you.. you old-timers who climb and cut everyday must feel physically beat on a day to day basis- I know I would!

I don't blame you for wanting to work somewhere that doesn't involve flourescent lights though. Have fun and good luck!

Last edited:
I think the problem guys, is that he hates his day job.

Long hours, lots o whiney kids and parents, administration never happy, weekends filled with paperwork and planning... If you don't like it, get out now. Life is too short to regret not moving sooner.

Going into the tree business as a startup with a business associate/boss is whole different kettle of fish. Lots of potential problems there, but they will be different than the ones you are trying to get away from. My impression is that your business model of plant health & trimming for a landscaping company should work fine. Beware the unsuccessful landscaper that thinks more work will translate to more money at the end of the year.

For a good working relationship with your benefactor, everything you do must be oriented to about 3 things: Making profits on all your work, keeping profitable customers happy and calling you back, and keeping expenses low so that profits are higher.

Your typical educator is usually not too much in touch with the need to be profitable.

OP

I feel your pain in the classroom I have been teaching for 6 years now and I am a coach oon the side as well. But I have been working for a local tree company for about 4 years now as the climber trimming guy and the removal guy. And every year I despise September because I know my summer time employer is still outside enjoying his job. His company is one of the few in the area and he is always overbooked. Every august he asks me to not return to the classroom and keep a saw in my hand rather than a pencil. He is a C.A. I am not (yet) waiting impatiently to take my exam. I have a young family and that is the only thing keeping me from taking the "plunge" $$$$ The aches and pains are not a concern for me (I was a succesfull college wrestler) so I am hard headed and used to being so plus the coaching job keeps me in great condition. My employer continually opens his books to me and asks the ? about me taking over so he can sell and retire. Retire being the key point I need to have some sort of pension plan other than the future trees to be planted.

The time and energy put into the classroom versus the pay barely pays bills but I do get by. Tree work helps a lot. The teaching gig is not near as enjoyable and spend any free weekends working for my tree boss not my principal.

I do applaud you for taking the "plunge" and still wish you a lot of Luck in your new endeavor (you might need it you might not) .

As for me until the stars align I will continue to play it safe with the teaching gig and dealing with Student/athletes that usually do a great job of frustrating the H double Hockey sticks out of me And then all summer and any free weekends will be spent caring for trees which in return helps pay the bills add knowledge and a much more enjoyable "office"

Good luck Do give updates

You guys forgot to mention the most dangerous aspect of tree work, logger or arborist either one.

You can starve to death.

Naw Bob, ya won't starve...you can feed yer small family with a tub of chicken livers for $1.50, flour is cheap...fry them dudes and make ya some gravy...unfortunately been there...and I don't ever want to go back!

Naw Bob, ya won't starve...you can feed yer small family with a tub of chicken livers for $1.50, flour is cheap...fry them dudes and make ya some gravy...unfortunately been there...and I don't ever want to go back!

I know what you mean. When you're starting out you pay yourself last, after all the other bills get paid. Sometimes there's not much left.

We never ate chicken livers but I think my wife could make a pound of hamburger stretch for whole week...including breakfast. There were a couple of winters when deer would mysteriously die in the woods behind our house. ;)

Good Luck. I hope you won't regret your decision in a year or two. Things have a way of changing in this business that sometimes don't work out the way you plan them.

I think the problem guys, is that he hates his day job.

Long hours, lots o whiney kids and parents, administration never happy, weekends filled with paperwork and planning... If you don't like it, get out now. Life is too short to regret not moving sooner.

Going into the tree business as a startup with a business associate/boss is whole different kettle of fish. Lots of potential problems there, but they will be different than the ones you are trying to get away from. My impression is that your business model of plant health & trimming for a landscaping company should work fine. Beware the unsuccessful landscaper that thinks more work will translate to more money at the end of the year.

For a good working relationship with your benefactor, everything you do must be oriented to about 3 things: Making profits on all your work, keeping profitable customers happy and calling you back, and keeping expenses low so that profits are higher.

Your typical educator is usually not too much in touch with the need to be profitable.

All true. Thanks.

Just to clarify, I'm not a total newbie looking to do something different for a change. I know my tree biology (Ph.D. in biology), have been heating my house with wood for years, dropping my own trees. I'm comfortable dropping hazardous trees (within reason) and pretty good at reading them if I say so myself, fully aware of the dangers and demands placed on my body. I've been helping my friend (the landscaper- a successful one at that) with all of his tree work for a few years now, and I take care of a lot of his other work (pruning of ornamentals, etc.). I'll be taking over all of the pesticide application work that he currently farms out (which is quite a bit), and I'll never starve, unless my body gives out, my wife leaves me, the state refuses to put me on disability and I'm no longer able to teach or do computer work. If that happens, I might as well die anyway. I've got a lot of skills, I'm healthy, like to work hard and will do whatever I can to earn a living. I haven't been climbing trees because without an arborist license, or working for one, the only kind of tree removals I'm going to get involved with are ones I can bomb. That said, I'll work into that- there's time. I've got plenty of work to keep me busy even if I can only scrape up 5-10 hours a week of tree work. Seriously, working at teaching for 11 years and only grossing 50k? I can't do much worse. Bottom line, I'm done teaching. I'll work at Home Depot if I have to.

There is that, too. I'm 52. Luckily, I've got a better retirement account than the public school teachers get.

OP

I feel your pain in the classroom I have been teaching for 6 years now and I am a coach oon the side as well. But I have been working for a local tree company for about 4 years now as the climber trimming guy and the removal guy. And every year I despise September because I know my summer time employer is still outside enjoying his job. His company is one of the few in the area and he is always overbooked. Every august he asks me to not return to the classroom and keep a saw in my hand rather than a pencil. He is a C.A. I am not (yet) waiting impatiently to take my exam. I have a young family and that is the only thing keeping me from taking the "plunge" $$$$ The aches and pains are not a concern for me (I was a succesfull college wrestler) so I am hard headed and used to being so plus the coaching job keeps me in great condition. My employer continually opens his books to me and asks the ? about me taking over so he can sell and retire. Retire being the key point I need to have some sort of pension plan other than the future trees to be planted.

The time and energy put into the classroom versus the pay barely pays bills but I do get by. Tree work helps a lot. The teaching gig is not near as enjoyable and spend any free weekends working for my tree boss not my principal.

I do applaud you for taking the "plunge" and still wish you a lot of Luck in your new endeavor (you might need it you might not) .

As for me until the stars align I will continue to play it safe with the teaching gig and dealing with Student/athletes that usually do a great job of frustrating the H double Hockey sticks out of me And then all summer and any free weekends will be spent caring for trees which in return helps pay the bills add knowledge and a much more enjoyable "office"

Good luck Do give updates

I hear ya on the low pay. I'm also with you on the being used to daily aches and pains. Truthfully, I feel more tired after this first week of school that I did after a long week of pruning, cutting and trimming. I gotta be outside though, especially during September, October and April-May.

$50K with summers, stat holidays, and weekends off! Horrible to contemplate.
I suspect the novelty is gonna wear off sooner than you think.

$50K with summers, stat holidays, and weekends off! Horrible to contemplate.

It trip's me out about the cost of living in the various geographical demographic's. I live in San Diego North County, so 50k a year is gonna be tough unless you are a single guy jumping to motel's. I spent 1993 until 2001 freelancing, made so much money, loving life and climbing for the big stuff. I swore I would never work for the man or even put in 8 hours,,yeah, right.
My hot wife got pregnant some how a few times and I gave in.
I guess what I am saying is that unless you have a passion for this that nobody understand's, you are a fool.
Jeff

Back