Talk me out of this saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRM

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came across this saw on CL. Grandfather had this exact model when I was a wee lad....boy does it bring back memories! Cutting firewood and hauling it out with the ol' Farmall International Cub....
This piece has some real nostalgia and I would love to have one but at the same time don't want to pay for someone's pipe dream. Any insight as to the fair value of this saw would be greatly appreciated.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/d/wickliffe-vintage-stihl-chainsaw/7430318529.html

If It works as good as it looks in the pictures I think that is a fair price but I am no expert on vintage saw prices. I worked on and used the neighbors tophandle 510 a time or 2, was surprised the power for the old 50cc it had. I had a rear handle here it seems long ago and Don t remember what i did with it. I think it was 10 or more years ago and decent running condition they were going 2 to $250 then.

Me thinks Bullitman wants to buy it. LOL There are parts available. Just have to look around. :cool:
Like I NEED moar saws. I've got way to much junk now.......

Good luck with the procurement. Old stuff is certainly interesting and entertaining.
Bullittman

Very nice! Appreciate the input guys. I have a message into the seller. Thanks again
I can just about guarantee that it has been repainted... Probably with rattle can paint which will not last. I seriously doubt that the handle came painted white from the factory. Also check the bottom of the saw closely for painted over magnesium rot. Last, if you are planning on running it check the clutch/sprocket for wear as these may be hard to find.

I can just about guarantee that it has been repainted... Probably with rattle can paint which will not last. I seriously doubt that the handle came painted white from the factory. Also check the bottom of the saw closely for painted over magnesium rot. Last, if you are planning on running it check the clutch/sprocket for wear as these may be hard to find.
Look at the badging, the muffler, and the scabbard. That looks like a pretty clean low-hour unit to me.

Latest posts

Back