Tanaka chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am almost certain that the Tanaka 5601 is simply a rebadged Redmax G5000. Look at the pictures and compare for yourself. They are identical, except for the orange plastics. Specs are the same too... The only thing different is that the Tanaka is about $200 more than the Redmax.

Also, the Tanaka 4501 looks to be the same as a Redmax gz4500.

There's a few differences, chain oil tanks not in the same position, dosen't have a decompression valve, slightly more cc (if that matters) and more heavier. If it's an improvement or something Tanaka have done a bloody good job.

Or maybe it's that Stihl are less established in the UK

We get stung by the tax though VAT (17.5% soon to be 20%), one of the main reasons stihl saws are more expensive in the UK than US, i think. I'm unsure what US taxes are (i know they vary by state). Here in the UK you've just got to set up your own business working with saws then you can claim it back.
We get the new models first though:D

redmax g5000 and tanaka ecv 5601

I think you are right, the redmax g5000 and tanaka ecv 5601 look 100% identical except for color. And Redmax is a lot cheaper.But Tanaka offers the reconditioned 5601 powerhead only for $226.00 at bigskytool but are on backorder for who knows how long.

Tanaka 4501

I have always been a great fan of Huskies but following a spate of major problems with models manufactured in the last 2 years I decided to switch my allegiance to Stihl. Again I have found that the older models are far superior in quality to the new ones in fact I was given an old 048 which worked like a trojan all day. I only replaced it because I liked the look of a new one when at the dealers stocking up with chains. The 048 was relegated to under the bench with other saws that I keep saying I will get around to cleaning up and selling. A friend of mine is in the firewood business and last month he got his eye on it and so ended up with it being gifted to him. He works saws hard and that old Stihl is certainly still working. However last year I damaged my back some what and when returning to work started to look around for a lighter saw for grubbing etc when I was talked into trying a Tanyaka 4501. I now keep this saw permanently in the Landrover as believe me I would be lost without it. It does everything I ask it and is even a nice weight to use when climbing. Yes those of you who try to knock them try them I think you will be pleasantly surprised at their versatility. No they will not fell big Cedars or Oaks but as a medium rated saw they certainly do what they are asked. If you want a saw that will run all day and fell anything put in it's way I have a lovely Stihl 056 starts first pull and sings away for ever but believe me your arms will be inches longer humping it around. At the end of the day it's Horses for Courses.

Last edited:
Back