Tansplanting a red oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Rehman

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice on moving a red oak tree? The tree is located in New Paltz, NY and is approximately 12'-0" to 15'-0" tall. Trunk diameter is approximately 5". I need to move this tree 15'-0" to 20'-0" feet only to make way for a larger garage.

Should I root prune this tree in the fall and wait a year?

What will its water needs be after moving?

Can anyone recommend a good local arborist or tree surgeon? (For this tree and other trees (apples / persimmons) located here)

Should I hire a professional to help me move this tree? (I have a friend with a backhoe but am worried about possible damage)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marc

Marc,
Can you adjust the garage to leave the tree alone?

If not I would suggest moving the tree with a tree spade. It's expensive but worth it if you want the tree to survive.

I've seen trees dug with backhoes and moved and die in a few years.

Plan to move the tree in early spring, before it breaks dormancy. Keep the tree watered well this year until late fall up til the ground freezes.

Health roots transplant better then stressed roots.

Go to this site to locate a local Certified Arborist-http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/welcome.html

With a five inch tree that needst to be meoved a few yards, I would recomend frost balling and a crane. You can move more of the root plate this way. If you cannot afford that, then go for the biggest spade you can fit in the yard. Then dig trenches away from the new planting and free up the soil. Adding a root stimulant would be a good idea too.

Check your Yellow Pages to find nursuries that specialize in large trees. Call a few and find out who has a tree spade truck. Ask about the size of their tree spades. I'd recommend an 80" or larger. Once you know the players and their rates, you can make a reasonable choice.
I had to move 6 large oaks several years ago, 6" caliper. I root trimmed them 6 months before I moved them and they all are still doing great today. To root trim, mark a circle about 75" diameter (if you are using an 80" spade). With a sharp shovel, dig a trench about 15" deep around the tree. Cut all roots cleanly. Then backfill and water. This will force the tree to grow new roots, most of which will be inside the 80" that will be dug up by the spade. After root pruning, give the tree some extra water, about 1 extra watering per week- 1/2"-3/4" for a month or more.

Here is the link to find all the certified arborists in your area.
http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back