Telling red oak seedling from pin oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any way to tell a red oak from a pin oak during the seedling stage? I got a little buddy sprouting in my yard, and if it is a red I'd like to transplant it.

Any way to tell, or do I just need to wait? The leaves are too small to tell the difference, and there are both pins and reds in my area.

I can tell the difference between a full sized red oak and a full size pin.

These little guys have just started putting out leaves, so they are too small for me to ID (maybe an inch long).

got ya, give it a few weeks then. you may be able to see something by the bark, but i have not been very good at that at the seedling stage!

Here's a pic. I assume it is too early to tell?

c066re2.jpg

got it!
Id say its gonna be NRO (northern red oak).

let me know if im right! either way a nice looking seedling!

I hope it lives.

I didn't do a good job transplanting it. I didn't have a shovel, so I used a hand trowel, thinking I could dig deep enough with it. Nope. I heard the root snap while I was digging out around it.

Also, I must have mowed over it once, or it got chewed on by some bunnies, because it is actually two stems coming off a stump.

I'll keep you updated.

oaks are hardy!
you should see how they do where i plant em (on reclamed strip mines):rockn:

I've got a mature pin oak in my backyard and I also just planted a little red oak seedling. Leaves look identical to what you've posted. I'd vote red oak as well. Pin oak leaves are so deeply lobed, I'd expect to see some of that even in a young seedling.

Back