tempwood placement advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soahcalm

Reaction score
I am new to this forum. just bought a house i close on december the 28th. after doing some research i found a tempwood stove on facebook marketplace, just went and got it today. I have a huge 4 foot thick double sided chimney with nice hearth in the house. i want to situate the little tempwood as close to the brick as possible. . from the photo how close do you think i can sit the tempwood stove? any advice would be appreciated. i haven't even bought a pipe to hook it up, , the hookup on the tempwood is a few inches lower then the pipe coming out of the thimble. goana get a new pipe to attach it... any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1102d8b766d4ea9d46e92e9260cd7471l-m3xd-w1020_h770_q80 - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg
    1102d8b766d4ea9d46e92e9260cd7471l-m3xd-w1020_h770_q80 - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 1102d8b766d4ea9d46e92e9260cd7471l-m0xd-w1020_h770_q80 - Copy.jpg
    1102d8b766d4ea9d46e92e9260cd7471l-m0xd-w1020_h770_q80 - Copy.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 40
  • 1102d8b766d4ea9d46e92e9260cd7471l-m2xd-w1020_h770_q80 - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
    1102d8b766d4ea9d46e92e9260cd7471l-m2xd-w1020_h770_q80 - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 24133753_517800441917175_1501575208_n - Copy.jpg
    24133753_517800441917175_1501575208_n - Copy.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 39
Before you do anything for the install, have you had your chimney professionally inspected and approved for wood burning again? that should be your first step in any install using an existing chimney.

If I were to guess without seeing the stove and your house personally, I would think you would be lucky to be much closer than 12". I'm thinking the install will require at least 2 elbows and maybe a short section of pipe. the other idea i had would be to mount the stove up on some form of a pedestal or hearth and run a straight pipe out the back into the wall thimble.

Defiantly get a good look inside that chimney since it runs right up the middle of the house. Or drop a liner in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before you do anything for the install, have you had your chimney professionally inspected and approved for wood burning again? that should be your first step in any install using an existing chimney.

If I were to guess without seeing the stove and your house personally, I would think you would be lucky to be much closer than 12". I'm thinking the install will require at least 2 elbows and maybe a short section of pipe. the other idea i had would be to mount the stove up on some form of a pedestal or hearth and run a straight pipe out the back into the wall thimble.

thanks.. for the advice, i have a chimney sweep inspector coming out on friday to check things out. my little tempwood stove is pretty small it's pipe coming out of the back almost lines up with the thimble in the chimney.. thimble is a few inches higher, which i guess is good for drawing smoke up.. there is a nice hearth poured its all the way thru to the basement. from down in the basement the chimney looks much younger then 1930 so hopefully they had it rebuilt at some point. i do know she needs a topper made.. but the brick and mortar looks new from what i can tell in the basement. there is a big oil furnace down there, that connects to the chimney, and then upstairs there is the double sided chimney, one side has been bricked up with a thimble and the other side, fireplace has a piece of painted sheet metal screwed to it.. .. awaiting my chimney guys instructions, 12inches from that brick would work really well for me it will still let the little stove sit just to the edge of the hearth.. the stove is a sealed system ashes come out from the top of it, so no ash spilling out onto the floors and its got an extra metal sheet weiled underneath it with airspace, i guess to deflect heat upwards and away from the floor... will post my results with this little stove, was very glad to find this forum i had never heard of tempwood before and after reading all the praises of the little stove it made me want to buy it. .. thanks again for the speedy advice.. it's much appreciated.

I am new to this forum. just bought a house i close on december the 28th. after doing some research i found a tempwood stove on facebook marketplace, just went and got it today. I have a huge 4 foot thick double sided chimney with nice hearth in the house. i want to situate the little tempwood as close to the brick as possible. . from the photo how close do you think i can sit the tempwood stove? any advice would be appreciated. i haven't even bought a pipe to hook it up, , the hookup on the tempwood is a few inches lower then the pipe coming out of the thimble. goana get a new pipe to attach it... any advice would be appreciated.
You're going to need something underneath
stove anyway so best to have a stone or brick hearth built.Build it high enough so that the pipe adapter matches up with the existing pipe in the chimney.I think I'd go with a liner in the chimney regardless of the chimney condition.

Latest posts

Back