Thankfully, the woodlot is only a short walk away...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Because I spent a while cruising my woodlot with flagging tape and my Tree ID book, listening to the truck radio, figuring what to cut this fall and winter. Learned last year I had vastly over rated my ability to recognize trees :)

Flagged about three cords of silver maples, plus a bunch of silver maple saplings, in order to favor the red & white oaks (I have a lot more white oak then I thought once I took a careful look), along with a few hickories and ash tres.

Decided to run down to the hardware store and get a different color flagging tape to mark some nice white oak saplings so I know to avoid them getting out the maples.

Click.click.click.click.click...

Walked home with my battery, it's now on the charger in the garage.

Would be a perfect day to clean the chimney right now. Um, the new brush and poles are back in the truck...guess I'll go roto till the garden for a little while :) I only want to have to walk back up that hill once!

I bought a Kansas tree ID book several years ago, and it has been an enormous help. Like an idiot I loaned it to a friend. Guess I will buy another.

Trees, Shrubs, and Woody Vines in Kansas by H.A Stephens.The definitive choice.
I'm with you on the Nobel.Who would want to join a list with Arafat, Carter and Gore?

YEP thats the book! I really enjoyed that book. Imma call my friend and berate him!

Thanks for the title

I'm terrible at IDing different types of trees. Thanks for the title, I just ordered it from Amazon. Hopefully I'll at least get better with a good guide. Cut some wood today and I'm totally lost as to the ID. I initially thought it was hedge but has a much brighter orange color than i normally see. Yea, Osage orange but this is really orange??????

I'm terrible at IDing different types of trees.

Me too! On further review, I've decided the maples are actually red maples. They don't even have leaves that look like silver ones :cry:

With the book though, figured out of the oaks I have about a 50/50 mix of red and white oaks, which I'm happy about. Trying to clean the lower value stuff like red maples and boxelder out of there. Leave the oaks, hickory, and I got a nice Beech tree.

Of course by the time I get the woodlot cleaned out of the poorer hardwoods and all nice hardwoods I'll probably die, they'll sell it for house lots, and all the good trees will get bulldozed :)

Latest posts

Back