The Art Martin Videos (rebuilt thread)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
Thanks to @Philbert who sent me these clips on disc and I am attempting to restore this old thread that was lost.
Originally digitized before the crash by @dbabcock back in 2004 from Art's original 8mm films.
I'll intersperse Art's commentary with the clips in order.

The tree in clips one and two was located on the North Fork of Ten Mile River, which is about 30 miles north of Fort Bragg. The tree in the clip was almost 13 feet in diameter (circumference of 39 feet) and over 200 feet long. It had over 65,000 board feet (Spaulding scale) that is enough to build six medium size homes. We used 100 ton hydraulic jacks to tip it over. The company I worked for was the Union Lumber Company. It was established by C.R. Johnson in 1855. The Company owned thousands of acres of virgin timber in Mendocino County. The sawmill was located in Fort Bragg. At one time, the Company employed approximately 1,500 people. The mill’s output of lumber was mainly Redwood and Douglas Fir. The Johnson family owned the company until the mid-1960s when it was purchased by Boise Cascade. Later on it was purchased by Georgia-Pacific. That company closed the mill in October 2002. It was an end of an era in Fort Bragg. The mill is gone, as is the logger of big trees in Mendocino County.

For many years, the sawed lumber was transported on schooners. Loading the lumber onboard was a very treacherous job. Quite often, the straps holding the loads would snap and a whole load of lumber would fall into the water. When a schooner came into Noyo Bay and tied up to the log floats, the town’s people would line the banks to watch the large stacks of lumber being loaded. I remember, even as a child, how dangerous it looked when some hardy men would ride on top of the load of lumber down to the ship. The Pacific Ocean is very unstable at different times of the year. The schooner company would lose a ship now and then due to the unpredictable change in the weather which would cause shifting of the lumber in the hull. Sometimes, when a ship went down, lumber was strewn all over the rocks and beaches. People would go and salvage as much as they could to bring home. The ships usually were based in San Francisco and would travel up and down the coast to the different ports. Almost all of the major rivers had a mill with a log pond. The logs would end their journey down the river and end up in the log pond waiting to be sawed into lumber.

I was hoping Doug could display clip #3, it shows me bucking the first cut. The top of the log was over 6’ above my head. The trees on the clips were so big that extra caution was required to make sure the cuts were square with the tree. It takes a lot of experience to match up the cuts when sawing from both sides with a 7’ bar. The first log on both trees was 16’ with 6” trim allowance. The rest were 20’ with 6” trim allowance. The very top logs were whatever length came out. Starting at the minimum of 16’ (i.e., 16’, 20’, 24’, 32’ etc.). The company didn’t want odd length logs (i.e., 22’, 26’ 28’ for example) since they could only handle 24’ logs on the carriage in the mill. When the log lengths were 32’, the 1 ½’ was added for trim.

The logging crew came in and used dozers and what they called “wheel cats” to remove the logs from where they were felled and skidded to the landing for loading onto to trucks. The company had private roads and their trucks had 14’ bunks to carry out these enormous loads.

When falling large Douglas Fir trees, they were to be bucked in 8’ increments starting with 16’, 24’, 32’, 40’, plus trim, etc. When the log was 40’, then you had to add 4’ trim making it 44’ since that much was needed at the plyboard mill. There they were reduced to 8’ lengths to fit their lathes and made into veneer.

The big mill in Fort Bragg used large band saws. These band saws blades were really wide, at least a foot or more, and had teeth on both sides so the saws cut going forward and backward on the carriage.

Although, by today’s standards, the tree in this clip is relatively large, in those days it was considered small. The company policy was that Redwoods 6 feet in diameter at chest height (D.C.H.) were the smallest that we could fall. However, there was an exception to this rule. It was acceptable to fall a smaller tree if it was needed to be used as a bearing to support a larger tree. The smaller tree would be felled crosswise into a low area and it would then support the bigger tree as it spanned the gap to prevent breakage when it fell. Douglas Fir had to be at least 4 feet D.C.H.

The “gunning sticks” were used to “aim” where the tree was to fall. The faller aimed with the “gunning sticks” at the “lay-out”, then his partner made a chalk mark on the bark at the tips on both sides of the tree. Then the undercut was sawed to each mark giving an accurate front line edge for sawing. The tree fell at 90° to this cut. The “gunning sticks” were also used to ensure that the bottom cut of the under cut was level with the tree. This was done by aiming up the tree and marking at both ends of the stick. If an undercut is not level to the tree, the tree will always pull to the side on which the undercut is higher.

The big tree shown in clips 5 and 6 was one of two large trees adjacent to each other. They were located in the Branscomb area, about 30 miles North of Fort Bragg. The area was flat and actually had a county road through the grove of trees leading to some residences farther up the road. For some reason, the company wanted a small area of about 25 acres cleared. A bulldozer was brought to stand-by so the road could be cleared as soon as the trees were felled and bucked up. The tree shown was about 12 feet in diameter and about 200 feel tall.

In Clip 7 I’m throwing the axe in a show in Sonora, California. Sonora is located in the Sierra foothills.

Clip 8 shows two other contestants who competed around the time I was competing.

Clip 9 was taken in Fort Bragg and shows me running a West Bend with a 36” bar. I was using regular gas with dual carbs at that time.

Clip 10 shows me making a cut with a piped West Bend and using alcohol. This was also taken at a show in Sonora.

Clip 11 shows another contestant running a piped West Bend also using alcohol. This was also in Sonora.

Clips 12, 13, and 14 are the most interesting and that is why I included them in this series.

Clip 12 shows Jon Rupley using my 090 with a full house chain. He screwed up on the starting because he doesn’t practice it. The interesting thing is that his cutting time, when the chain hits the wood, and when the last cut is severed, was 4.78 secs. His total time was 7.34 secs. So that means it took him 2.56 secs to start the saw and get it to the wood. Also, in the up cut he lost a few hundreds of a second when the saw pushed him back almost out of the cut and was cutting with the roller tip, which is slower. One other interesting thing is that the Fort Bragg logging show has had a hot start for forty years but was changed for an advantage for those who need an edge.

Clip 13 shows Dennis Harvey on the left side and Tommy Fales on the right. Dennis is one of the top contestants in cold starts, in fact he holds the world record in Albany, Oregon. His actual cutting time was 7.74 secs, and his total time was 11:10 secs so it took him 3.36 secs to start the saw and get it to the wood. On the right side is Fales. His actual cutting time was 5.28 secs. His total time was 6.20 secs. It took him .92 secs to start and get the saw into the wood.

Clip 14 shows Jim Taylor on the left. His actual cutting time was 5.05 secs. His total time was 6.26 secs. It took him 1.21 secs to start and get his saw to the wood.

The person on the far right, I believe, was Mike Sullivan. His time was slow.
Again, these are the times of the contestants in the clip.
Jon Rupley
Total Time: 7.34 secs.
Cutting time: 4.78 secs.

Tommy Fales
Total Time: 6.20 secs.
Cutting time: 5.28 secs.

Jim Taylor
Total Time: 6:26 secs.
Cutting time: 5:05 secs.

Dennis Harvey
Total Time: 11:10 secs.
Cutting time: 7:74 secs.

This video clearly shows that if a full house chain is made correctly, it will cut fast. If it is made incorrectly, it is slow. I know what makes it work and yet, there are those who have tried it and say it is a waste of time. If it is not done correctly, then it is a waste of time regardless how famous you are.. I will share my procedure selectively on a private basis, otherwise some of the less credible people will say they invented it.

I would like someone to explain to me why starting the saw should be added to the cutting time.

There have been some negative comments about the full house race chain. Those who have made the comments apparently didn’t do the research that I did before beginning this big task. Their conclusions were made without a fair evaluation of a correctly finished product. The conclusion I came to from my full house chain was that if it is used on an 8X8”, 10X10”, 12X12” cants, with the proper saw sprocket and operator, that it was almost unbeatable.
Art Martin

Thank you for reviving this thread!

I read a time a go that Art Martin had a Stihl 090 with a original Stihl big bore kit with 157cc. Is it true?

I believe so, and that I've seen it. There are a few of them around. I've seen 3.

Madsens has 1, Wayne Sutton in Amboy has 1, and a fellow on the coast of OR who has showed up at the PNW GTG (not sure whether he wants to be named) has the one that I think used to belong to Art Martin. If you dig around past threads, you might find a picture or two. It's got a 2-piece head and finger ports. It's a helluva machine. This same fellow let me run his 500cc Honda bikesaw. What a rush!

Madsens has 1, Wayne Sutton in Amboy has 1, and a fellow on the coast of OR who has showed up at the PNW GTG (not sure whether he wants to be named) has the one that I think used to belong to Art Martin. If you dig around past threads, you might find a picture or two. It's got a 2-piece head and finger ports. It's a helluva machine. This same fellow let me run his 500cc Honda bikesaw. What a rush!
Art Martin's 090 isn't a 10 cube. I know who has it and have spoken with him personally about this. There where lots of rumors about it being a 10 cube but it's not true. It is however a very fast 090 when set up correctly.

Art Martin's 090 isn't a 10 cube. I know who has it and have spoken with him personally about this. There where lots of rumors about it being a 10 cube but it's not true. It is however a very fast 090 when set up correctly.

Your credentials are unimpeachable; I defer to your knowledge. I'll ask the guy in question where he got it next time I see him.

Pretty sure that’s the give away ;)

Yes, indeed. There is video showing him in the frame as I ran the saw in question.

Clips 12, 13, and 14 are the most interesting and that is why I included them in this series.

Clip 12 shows Jon Rupley using my 090 with a full house chain. He screwed up on the starting because he doesn’t practice it. The interesting thing is that his cutting time, when the chain hits the wood, and when the last cut is severed, was 4.78 secs. His total time was 7.34 secs. So that means it took him 2.56 secs to start the saw and get it to the wood. Also, in the up cut he lost a few hundreds of a second when the saw pushed him back almost out of the cut and was cutting with the roller tip, which is slower. One other interesting thing is that the Fort Bragg logging show has had a hot start for forty years but was changed for an advantage for those who need an edge.

Clip 13 shows Dennis Harvey on the left side and Tommy Fales on the right. Dennis is one of the top contestants in cold starts, in fact he holds the world record in Albany, Oregon. His actual cutting time was 7.74 secs, and his total time was 11:10 secs so it took him 3.36 secs to start the saw and get it to the wood. On the right side is Fales. His actual cutting time was 5.28 secs. His total time was 6.20 secs. It took him .92 secs to start and get the saw into the wood.

Clip 14 shows Jim Taylor on the left. His actual cutting time was 5.05 secs. His total time was 6.26 secs. It took him 1.21 secs to start and get his saw to the wood.

The person on the far right, I believe, was Mike Sullivan. His time was slow.
Again, these are the times of the contestants in the clip.
Jon Rupley
Total Time: 7.34 secs.
Cutting time: 4.78 secs.

Tommy Fales
Total Time: 6.20 secs.
Cutting time: 5.28 secs.

Jim Taylor
Total Time: 6:26 secs.
Cutting time: 5:05 secs.

Dennis Harvey
Total Time: 11:10 secs.
Cutting time: 7:74 secs.

This video clearly shows that if a full house chain is made correctly, it will cut fast. If it is made incorrectly, it is slow. I know what makes it work and yet, there are those who have tried it and say it is a waste of time. If it is not done correctly, then it is a waste of time regardless how famous you are.. I will share my procedure selectively on a private basis, otherwise some of the less credible people will say they invented it.

I would like someone to explain to me why starting the saw should be added to the cutting time.

There have been some negative comments about the full house race chain. Those who have made the comments apparently didn’t do the research that I did before beginning this big task. Their conclusions were made without a fair evaluation of a correctly finished product. The conclusion I came to from my full house chain was that if it is used on an 8X8”, 10X10”, 12X12” cants, with the proper saw sprocket and operator, that it was almost unbeatable.
Art Martin

Dennis Harvey was a tire guy that did sawracing for a hobby, I worked with him in Grass Valley in the early 80’s.

Back