The Big saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WadePatton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Going to do some milling. Cherry, Walnut, Poplar, Oak, Sassafras, maybe even Black Locust (my firewood of choice) will be the main trees milled. My logs won't be that big, around 24" on the hardwoods and up to 36 on the Poplar. I'll start with the Granberg Mini Mill and move up to an Alaskan. I also have THE reference book on Chainsaw Milling (borrowed).

Need a 70cc or larger saw. Can somebody give me a list of makers/models that fit that category? Which ones are trouble/too old to mess with (parts wise)?

I'm familiar with the current line of Husky and Jonsered, and know about the 090 Stihl. What else is out there?

You'll think I'm FOS, but an insured had a sass blow over and hit his neighbor's house. It was around 50 inch in diameter at chest level.

The 385 comes to mind or the 460 stihl for milling. Just a few buddy's experience.

Fred

I mill with a 660. For older Stihl's, the 056 Mag, 076, 084 to name a few. Of course there's the 088/880. The 090 is huge and expensive, and a cheaper saw will work as well. Any big saw 7+ hp will do. The old torque monsters do really well, but parts can be a pain sometimes.

Jeff

Okay that covers the orange things. Whuddabout red ones?

I'm partial to the Sachs-Dolmar and Jonsered/Husky for NO apparent reason. Just depends on the deal I run across.

So--do all the model numbers have CC or CI "built" into them? Gets confusing sometimes when you see a model number by itself and don't know which end the displacement is on.;)

Logosol is currently selling Husky 385XP's with their mills. Basically the same horsepower as the MS460. Lots of people say you need an 066 or bigger saw for milling. I've milled with lots of smaller saws using the Granberg Mini Mill and Small Log Mill (baby brother to the Alaskan). Good ripping chain, size of the wood being cut, and keeping the chain sharp are just as imortant, if not more.

Don't get me wrong, the extra power is nice, expecially if it's a big log being quartered up or a long bar is needed. When I throw one of the 066's or 084 on the mill it is fun, but that extra weight on a manual mill like an Alaskan gets to you too.

Most of the stuff I mill up can be edged into cants and a 16", 20" or (very seldom) a 24" bar is used.

Tom

logosol

in Sweden they sell logosol with stihl 660 cause its cheaper then a husky in the same size ,,,
the cheap part is just an assumption from me ,, cause it cant have anything to do with quality :)

How about a husky 2101xp, because it has a manaul oiler and has big power. Bigger is better. Unless you have to pack it through the bush all day.

WadePatton said:
Going to do some milling. .................Need a 70cc or larger saw. .......................I'm familiar with the current line of Husky and Jonsered, and know about the 090 Stihl. What else is out there?

Heck just buy a 090 and never look back. I have some to sell.

Bill

I run a 2077 with 36" bar & 404...if you can get a good second hand one...they're a nice little saw...big enough to cut reasonably fast and light enough to swing around all day OK..2093/4 would better for the bar but like I say...all day and it handles it with the right set on the chain

I won't be toting the 2077 much. I'll use it for felling and milling--different chains! And it comes with a nearly new 24" bar.

Thanks for the hands-on report.

Personly i'd go for the biggest saw i could afford. IF you can get a 880 or a 3120 get them. In the long run your going to need the power, for when you find something big to mill. Also you can happly run 30" bars in hardwoods.

WadePatton said:
Okay, I got a Jonsered 2077 cornered. Anybody familiar with that one?

The 2077 is the twin of the 575xp regarding adverticed weight and power, only a 20 year older design (Partner P7700 was the same saw).

Progress :confused: :bang:

So I looked up the 3120 and find the photo at Madsens of the boys sticking a 5' bar into a 10-12' DBH tree. And my wife says--whatcha going to DO with that? :laugh:

Thanks for the offer, but that's a little more than I'm ready for--this week.

I've made a deal on the 2077. That leaves plenty of room to move up.;) ;)

Back