Saw recommendation for Granberg small mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogedy_Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, so my milling experience is slim so far. I first bought a Granberg small mill and put a Husky 460 Rancher on it. It worked, and I milled a good pile of cherry logs with it. However, it slows down exponentially at around 14" in hardwoods. 16+ you can just about forget it, unless you want to take a nap while milling. I ended getting a 661 and a Granberg 36" mill, cannon bar...the full works. I've milled up to 34"..it's full capacity...and it just rips.

The problem is, the 661 and the 36" mill are a bit much when I do need to mill something smaller..I also think the husky will die a very early death if I continue to mill with it.

So, if I were to buy a pro saw to put in the small mill, where should I start? I have a good relationship with the Stihl dealer, so that's where I am looking. Would a 362 give enough advantage (power wise) over the husky, or do I need a 461? I'll most likely be running a 20" bar.

Why do you not stick with the 661 and just stuff a small bar on it?? The weight difference between the 362 and the 661 is only 4lbs. but the CC is about 40% more on the 661 side.
For any cutting in the 16"- 20" range I would want at least a 60-70CC saw.
G Vavra

Good question. It's not the weight of the saw that bothers me, but rather that I want to be able to use the small mill without moving the powerhead back and forth. The 36" rails and 50" cannon bar are like wrestling a Grizzly bear on a 16" log. I'm sure I'll get faster at it, but rigging up the big mill takes me quite a while.

60-70...that's about where I am at. But there's a pretty big price gap between. 362 and a 461! It's almost as if Stihl could wedge another model in there :)

I would try to stay on the bigger side. The 460 would be perfect for the smaller logs.

Good question. It's not the weight of the saw that bothers me, but rather that I want to be able to use the small mill without moving the powerhead back and forth. The 36" rails and 50" cannon bar are like wrestling a Grizzly bear on a 16" log. I'm sure I'll get faster at it, but rigging up the big mill takes me quite a while.

60-70...that's about where I am at. But there's a pretty big price gap between. 362 and a 461! It's almost as if Stihl could wedge another model in there :)

The price gap is large on new saws. But tradin' post offers considerable savings, I have a 046 that ran $500 and operates close enough to my ms 460 I don't really notice any difference. I've done similar muf mods on both.Oh yeah the 460 is in the upper left hand corner of this post, with 60" cannon, spinning skip chain.

I run my 440 on the smaller stuff. I don't think I would go any smaller than that. The 362 might do fine, but at some point you'll be happy for the extra power, especially when milling.

Back