The black/red plastic Homelites.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fellow gave me a low hour Homelite Bandit 33cc with no spark. I fool with it (Phelon coil) and get a tiny, feeble spark that goes away. Pick up a parts saw (45cc Ranger) and try the coil from it. A Walbro coil. Get the darn thing running good considering the nonadjustable carb. Cut one big cookie off my 18" ceder log and it dies just as I get it completed. Total run time maybe five minutes. Pull the plug and no spark again.

They got some kind of high temperature cutoff?

I got maybe eight bucks in gas invested in him so I'll salvage the bar/chain and chuck the rest in the trash.

Shame on Homelite.

couple easy checks: take apart & clean any connection point(s) you find on the primary side (going to the on/off switch, for example). That's because on the primary side you're dealing with low voltage and little current. Make sure of correct plug - the one the manufacture recommends. RFI "resistor" plugs can kill an electronic ignition.

Good canidate for the chainsaw toss. I can supply a bent bar to put on it for the contest.

I have two Homelite Timberman 45cc saws. One is red with a black top and the other is all red.

I've had one about 8 years and the other some 10 years. Never any trouble with either one.

Coil bolts to the side of the cylinder. You can't get a better connection than that.

Not necessarily. Why waste the time to post if you don't want to follow through? Nice Vette, btw

I did. (sand all mounting surfaces etc.) Both coils. Moved coil to within .004" of magnets. Used new CJ6 plug to check. Hammered plug gap down to .010". Still no joy.

What are the odds that a replacement would fail that quick?

Fellow gave me a low hour Homelite Bandit 33cc with no spark. I fool with it (Phelon coil) and get a tiny, feeble spark that goes away. Pick up a parts saw (45cc Ranger) and try the coil from it. A Walbro coil. Get the darn thing running good considering the nonadjustable carb. Cut one big cookie off my 18" ceder log and it dies just as I get it completed. Total run time maybe five minutes. Pull the plug and no spark again.

They got some kind of high temperature cutoff?

I got maybe eight bucks in gas invested in him so I'll salvage the bar/chain and chuck the rest in the trash.

Shame on Homelite.

I like to experiment with the little Homelites. The 45 cc is a strong runner with a little modification. If you don't want to mess with them shoot me a PM and I'll take 'em off your hands.

Did the brief cutting you do gunk up the magneto (as in, stuff the coil gap full of oily sawdust)? This happened to me once.

Nope.

I set the gap the first go around with a business card from Chainsawr. About .015".

I'd like to try a coil from another runner just for grins.

diggers_dad:

I'll set 'em out on the curb.

Postage would be far more than they are worth.

What are the odds that a replacement would fail that quick?

Not very likely, I agree. Which would point to something else. Note that saying the spark is "weak" is ambiguous and may not be the issue at all. Unless you can measure or scope the secondary output you're just assuming what's good and what isn't.

Getting back to the "what's the chances two coils.." thing: At least twice (in 42 years).. I have run into similar situations where THREE, factory NEW digital fuel control units (for a gas turbine) were NO good. My head was spinning, and cost 40 grand in lost parts/wages. I can tell ya if you work in electronics long enough you'll understand why electricity is still only a theory :)

I'd like to see you find this little bugger just for the knowledge. Good luck.

They are easy and fun to port. They really wake with a simple muffler mod. I'll also warn you - once you start down the "soup up my saw" road, it's tough to stop...

Good luck on the coil.

I do admit I did pry the ex. outlet open a bit.

Once I get this pup running again I going to give it a long hard run. See if it will go or blow.

I did try a comp. test on the 45cc carcass. With not much to hold on to, it topped out at 115 psi when it came out from under my boot. Piston and cylinder look mint from the ports. Maybe if I chuck it up in the bench vise.

Edit: 140-145 by standing on the cylinder head.

Last edited:
Back