The Chicom knock-off industry...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't aware that Stihl was still making , or having someone else make, 090's.
I assumed that they were a Chinese knockoff POS.

These are the knockoff's and they ain't made by Stihl ................. 090's are out of production by Stihl

My Great Wall V-240 has more Japanese bits than Chinese

Last edited:
A couple years ago I bought a Chinese "5200" on Ebay, mostly out of curiosity. It was cheap; under $100. The case colors looked like a Stihl, but it was not advertised as such and there were no Stihl emblems on it. As I understand it, the saw was a copy of a Redmax G5000, but that's really beyond my expertise.

There was good and bad to it, with the bad winning. The engine was fine. It started easily, probably because it didn't even pretend to comply with EPA mandates. It ran fine, and was reasonably powerful for its size and weight. The bad was everything else. The plastic case was flimsy, like a cheap child's toy. The hole for the choke was off center, and the choke rod bound up when I tried to set it. The on off switch was the cheap. The drive to the oil pump didn't engage, and I had to work on that. The chain tensioner was weak. The bar and chain were awful. Oil leaked.

The whole thing was kind of sad; a decent engine wrapped in junk. It could have been a good saw with a little more care by the manufacturer. The saw was just too much trouble to be worthwhile; I donated it to a benefit garage sale at my church.

Well.......

They all run nicely with a little tuning. Very reliable and starts easily. Great trail saws, if something happens to them, just whip out another one...

The dang Earthquake thread and all the talk of the 45cc version for less than $50 keeps trying to pull me in...

The 45cc version you say? Here ya go, there's three more still in the boxes for Santa to drop off to friends.
Quake11_zps04a2cd13.jpg

The problem with stuff made in China is they have found a new element,needs to be added to the periodic table of elements.It is a rare element and has only been found in Asia.
Chineseemum.
It can be and does get added to everything, and anything.I believe it's Chinese law that anything exported has to contain at least 15 %.
It turns rubber into not really rubber
Plastic into not really plastic
Aluminum into not really aluminum
Steel into not really steel
Stihls into Huskys:ices_rofl:,just kidding,anyhow you get the picture.
Thomas

Your not kidding, Years ago I found out what they do with all their hazardous waste, they put it in our boots.

Had a pair of boots that I destroyed putting on a metal roof, one night I threw them in the burn barrel, Holy Cr@? the black smoke they gave off, totally blacked out the street light at the end of the drive, couldn't see a thing.

Always a distinct smell when entering the local harbor freight.......

Those saw carriers that were here for $6 a while back had those horrible smelling rubber sheaths, couldn't imagine working there day after day...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Rather than buying a new fake chainsaw and helping the imitators out, to do my now limited firewood cutting I just rely on the old faithful Poulan and McCulloch saws, they do just fine and they're not expensive at all. I have a couple of Stihls and Husqvarnas but they're so old I doubt if they were made in China.

Agreed. Duplicate and replicate .... never innovate. That's the way they do business.

Back