The Chinese saws are here, and they are becoming popular

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will throw in a few things I've seen out of China. First is the Honda copy crf50 brand named coolster. They are basically exact copys of the Honda pretty much all parts will interchange they are about half the price of the Honda. The specs on the motor parts are not as tight as the original but do hold up and are useable. From my understanding they were making parts for Honda and probably still are and the patent ran out or was released they started selling parts aftermarket and building the bikes. I would be looking for the same with the saws they will pick a proven design like a 365 husky copy it with looser specs and sell it for half or less. To me when I'm thinking about another saw I'm comparing theirs with say a used husky of the same model. I own a genuine crf 50 but do use some aftermarket parts. Same with the saws I would like to compare the China 365 to the real one side by side but I don't wanna risk my money so I will have to wait and stick with used real stuff until someone convinces me it's worth the risk.

I don't have any problem with the Chinese making saws but making them to look like stihls or huskys is the problem. Not to mention when they actually put the logos on the saws or try an exact copy. I feel sorry for the poor shmuck that goes and buys a copy and gets takin. Make your own damn saws. Put your own name on them like phing phang or fung shoo. Then they would actually be competeing and would have to come out with a good product. Maybe try making a quality product? Who knows, maybe twenty years from now some guy will be posting picks on AS of his new fung shoo saw and some other guy will be saying pics or it did't happen.

... Put your own name on them like phing phang or fung shoo. Then they would actually be competeing and would have to come out with a good product. Maybe try making a quality product? Who knows, maybe twenty years from now some guy will be posting picks on AS of his new fung shoo saw and some other guy will be saying pics or it did't happen.

:clap::laugh:

Has anyone done a comparison of the copy saws? I've actually heard good things about ghee 365 copy. Anyone have info on this?

I like a carburetor I can adjust where it needs to be, I like free flowing ported mufflers without cats, etc.
Sounds like you'd like a new Poulan Pro then. It has an adjustable carb, no cat, and a strato engine to provide improved power.

The local stihl dealers ( in Northern Ireland ) have on display a chinese copy of a ms171 and at first glance it looks good. Only when you look a bit closer you realise the plastic feels thin and fragile. The cylinder looks like pot metal and there's no chainbrake whatsoever.
Saying that I have one of the zenoah copies and whilst it wouldn't last a day felling it cuts firewood when the other saws are busy or lie down

I'm not interested in polan and homeowner ,ranch type stuff I have a 359 and a 385xp that I run for the most part my partner has a 562 and a 372 I wanna know how these copies stack up against my saws lol

Yeah well ... that's one thing a nation with oppressive guvmint regulation don't have to worry about ... "making things" ... cuz anyone who can get out does, those that remain starve to death economically or are forced to make cheap crap in order to keep the bottom line from falling into the toilet.
Are you talking about the US or still about China? Your sitting on the rim and about to go for a swim.

Here in Ireland, the costs of saws are ridiculous. It has a lot to do with being an Island of only 5.5 million or so + silly tariffs and taxes + dealers selling in very low volume. A pro saw here goes for nearly half again what it does stateside at todays exchange rate. When the Euro is strong, it starts to push closer to twice the costs.

However, the largest ports in Europe are in England. The Chinese can land saws there, with full EU certs, for next to nothing. After that, it is a quick jump into Ireland with no further tariffs or taxes.

They go by several brand names like AMA and Zomax. But because they have to pass EU regs, they are actually close copies of their Husky and Echo equivalents. I haven't seen a Stihl copy yet. I was in my local shop today in Tipperary when I saw this sitting on a shelf:

View attachment 402226

The phone doesn't take great pics, but you get the idea here. It's a copy of an Husqvarna model 61. And it does a fairly good job of it aside from the orange peel paint job. The plastics feel fairly robust, and the chassis is likely aluminum since it felt sort of heavy ish. The controls were plenty chincy, tho. The B&C's are Oregon, and appeared to me to be OEM stuff.

It sells for about half the cost of a Husqvarna 365 X Torq. They have a lot of them out in the field in ranch and farmer's hands, and sold more than two dozen last year during the storms. I am told the controls fail on occasion, but the rest of the saw tends to be sound. I wonder if they had to pay Husqvarna royalties to get the EU certs and imports...

Anywho, ya'll discuss.
Sounds similar to a saw on Broken Arrow Oklahoma craigslist. Generic looking plastic, aluminum case, 52cc I think. $600!!! What a joke.

I'm not interested in polan and homeowner ,ranch type stuff I have a 359 and a 385xp that I run for the most part my partner has a 562 and a 372 I wanna know how these copies stack up against my saws lol
They don't. They wouldn't even be close.Build wise. Ports are garbage. Plastic is cheap. Cheap rip offs. Like I said before I am sure the Chinese are perfectly capable of building a quality saw. They just don't right know. And the copies just piss me off. Make your own ****.

Sometimes, depends on the resources given them for the product. They can make as a good a product as anyone. The same factory that turns out a piece of crap due to low budget by one company, may be given a higher budget by Ryobi for a different saw. The result of that one is the 10532. A quality copy of the Zenoah/Redmax GZ400.

The result of that one is the 10532. A quality copy of the Zenoah/Redmax GZ400.
It isn't a copy of the GZ400 - it is the GZ400. It's the Zenoah GZ4000 engine made in Japan, but the rest is all Chinese made. And it is marginally better than the GZ4000.

Point is, China can make anything of any quality, just depends on the budget given them. However, with all the crap that comes from China they're not likely to build any better than they have to.

I won't get involved in any arguments here but have imported and tested a number of knock offs over the years including an 038 copy, 365 copies, 070 copy, and MS660 copies. Mainly to test aftermarket top ends on that I was also importing.
The 038 was a piece of crap but it has been in the hands of an absolute knuckle dragging firewood guy for years now and is still running. The 365's had issues with the factory fitted carbies but a change to a "GREENLOG" branded carby fixed all issues and all saws are still running strong. One of these includes a 365 copy with a BB kit that is winning chainsaw races hand over fist. Most competitors don't know it's a Chinese copy and the owner/builder/operator can't help but smile everytime he wins another race. This is the exact same saw that 3 years ago a number of members here said would do the crank bearings in, blow up, fly apart etc etc. It is still running strong with a ported 395XP carby and is now in the process of being piped. It has knocked countless genuine Husqvarnas and Stihls off in the U77cc classes.
Fact is that numerous people want these saws to be a piece of crap but they're not, and it is something many have trouble coping with.
The 070 copy was indeed a piece of garbage but it's new owner (same guy with the 365 copy winning races) has got it singing and it's now running an 090 top end.
The MS660 copy was sent to me by a Chinese business who I deal with for testing. I needed to replace the rubber antivibes with OEM as they wouldn't last plus the clutch springs lasted only a few months. The carby got replaced with OEM only to find that it was actually a dodgey plug which I'd somehow forgotten to replace with an NGK BPMR7A. It had hot start issues but was actually caused by a faulty plug. The carb swap wasn't necessary. The starter pawls also had a few issues but this was my own fault by somehow getting bar oil in the starter. Once I degreased the starter assembly it's been fine ever since. The factory felt filter also got replaced with a HD2 as a personal preference due to the dusty conditons I cut in.
This saw has now seen a lot of work and has simply not missed a beat. It runs as good as any stock 066/660 I've run and so far seems just as reliable. I initially thought this saw would turn into a "beater" but it is honestly working it's way more and more into my tree felling schedules. My ported 390XP has been getting a bit of a rest :)

One thing to remember is that they are not a mag case but aluminium. Therefore the knock offs are heavier than the originals but not by much. One MS660 clone had porous casting behind the flywheel which was a bit ugly. These saws are also getting tested quite well despite what some people may think. Very little testing is done in house but is done by people like myself. All issues get reported back to the manufacturer and they fix it. Simple. In fact I believe some OEM parts are being used too which might surprise some people.

With the current Australian exchange rate, and considering that all Chinese business is conducted overseas in USD$, the "pro type" saws are no longer viable/cost effective to import to Australia and DEFINITELY not viable to import to the US with the already low prices you guys pay over there. I had three MS660 clones imported for customers back when our exchange rate was near AUD$1.00 = USD$1.10 and all are still running fine. One has been heavily ported and is hanging together well. Mine has by far seen the most work and hard work too. Dusty Australian hardwoods work saws like no other timber on the planet.

Before everybody jumps up and down and threatens to lynch me in the streets I absolutely hate knock off saws being sold as the original and regularly report eBay sellers for this exact same thing. None of the saws I have received have been labelled as Stihl or Husky. I am also telling the many people who want one that I won't supply them and to buy a secondhand 066/660 or 365/372. I got these in simply for my own amusement and only for customers that I trust and know well to play with. I've been more than surprised on how they've turned out as have anybody that's used them.

One thing to remember is that they are not a mag case but aluminium. Therefore the knock offs are heavier than the originals but not by much
This is what I was expecting, and was surprised when my G621 clone came in at 12.4lb. Either the alloy did have similar amounts of mag or the original is even lighter!

It occurs to me that I've been ignoring all those Homelite/Ryobi saws they sell at Home Depot. They are Chinese made (and probably designed), and are not direct copies of anything. Probably Poulan's biggest competition.

To be honest i expect to much from my saws. The chinese stuff cant hold up like my MS 660 Never buy that chinese junk.

Latest posts

Back