The Confidence Test- The Science of Irrationality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two equations, two unknowns:

Bat + Ball = $1.10
Bat = Ball + $1.00

Solve for Ball:

Bat + Bat – $1.00 = $1.10
2 X Bat = $0.10
Bat = $0.05

Better grammar would have helped in the original problem: "A ball and bat both cost $1.10" should have been something like: "The total cost of a ball and bat is $1.10"

Two equations, two unknowns:

Bat + Ball = $1.10
Bat = Ball + $1.00

Solve for Ball:

Bat + Bat – $1.00 = $1.10
2 X Bat = $0.10
Bat = $0.05

Better grammar would have helped in the original problem: "A ball and bat both cost $1.10" should have been something like: "The total cost of a ball and bat is $1.10"

===

The phrasing is part of the test...

===

The phrasing is part of the test...
It certainly is, but I don't know if was intended to be. Intentionally making the information provided confusing or unclear only makes the results less convincing. The idea was that people often use their intuition and jump to conclusions that they are convinced are obviously correct, and are not - not that you can befuddle people with confusingly stated problems. I also feel that the opposite is true - people who try to live only by analysis and ignore their intuition are ignoring valuable insight.

By the way it was worded I have to say 10 cents. But if it meant they both separately cost $1.10 then the ball cost a $1.10

Last edited:
It certainly is, but I don't know if was intended to be. Intentionally making the information provided confusing or unclear only makes the results less convincing. The idea was that people often use their intuition and jump to conclusions that they are convinced are obviously correct, and are not - not that you can befuddle people with confusingly stated problems. I also feel that the opposite is true - people who try to live only by analysis and ignore their intuition are ignoring valuable insight.

My intuition is still a little bit hazy after drinking $1480.00 worth of Fyrebug's beer... I don't even remember what the hell happened to the bat...
:tire:

Dont know why you guys find this so difficult. It's quite simple really...

Let the cost of the ball = a
So the cost of the bat = a + 1
Total cost for both = a + (a + 1)
2a + 1 = 1.10
2a = 0.10
a = 0.05 (cost of ball)
a + 1 = 1.05(cost of bat)
Total = 1.05 + 0.05 = 1.10

Duh!

:givebeer:

Back