The Dan rates the Cougar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I like to poke a little fun now and then too, but I here yeah OD

Well actually I went bare handed on that white pine today( " The king called his boogie men") and when I went to pick up my kid from daycare the school marms were all freaked out about my hands being caked in sap... so I stuck a finger up my nose and pulled out a booger the size of kansas.
The guys were using gas to clean their hands but I just used a plastic scouring pad and some water after I got home from the machine shop where they where cuutin the rotor for my wife's car. Dam thing needs 2 front calipers as well. And these subaru motor leak like sives

pulleyclimb001.jpg

That's a plate on the block leaking oil, its between the motor and trans. Had to do the head gaskets as well (leaking oil too), t-belt, water pump ecetera ecetera.

yes, the new seat is way much better.

I'm liking the seat on the new saddle. the padded leg straps with deluxe clips are sweet too. I like the versatile because theres no metal clips, so less or no jingle jangleing around.

Oldirty, I like the vt so far, I guess you just have to keep an eye on it thats all, still think its worth it just to have a knot that will never bind - we'll see, still need some more time with the new system. The HC is sweet indeed, I'm getting more used to fiddling around with it at the beginning.

In my (worthless) opinion, the only bad thing about the cougar is that it's got too much crap hanging off of it, gets a bit busy. I cut some of it off. I question the rope bridge too...looks minimal. Hope it holds up.

and its not all bad... better than some. I bought this 6-28-08. I like the belt bucket for the waist strap, its a good saddle, up tp date with many of its likeness. I has some pros and cons.

cougar008.jpg

The constuction of the saddle is tough and well planned. The red hoop in the back is good for tie in for Aussie Rappel. It can be used with suspenders if you have the mind. Lots of places to hang stuff.

The leg straps have nice buckles and a flap to cover them which is nice

cougar009.jpg

cougar010.jpg

cougar011.jpg

All you guys with the cougar do you have the leg straps or the seat? Heard mixed feelings about the leg straps so I wanted to get some more opinions from you guys

All you guys with the cougar do you have the leg straps or the seat? Heard mixed feelings about the leg straps so I wanted to get some more opinions from you guys

I'm a greenhorn, so be forewarned, but I recently put the seat on my Cougar and it's a lot more comfortable to hang in and easier on the nutbag as well.

if you buy the one with just the leg straps can you put the seat on down the road if you wanted to? And Plasmech we live near each other. I am up rt73 in Harleysville

if you buy the one with just the leg straps can you put the seat on down the road if you wanted to? And Plasmech we live near each other. I am up rt73 in Harleysville

Yes you can install the Bosun's seat later. It's not too bad a job.

Cool that we're close!

Penn Holo on 73 in Skipack has the saddle with a seat for 250

I was just there today and tried it on...I really liked it but they only had a large which is a little too big for me since i am only 150lbs. I am going to order one though...I think I am getting the leg straps first and if I am not liking it I will just add on the seat.

I was just there today and tried it on...I really liked it but they only had a large which is a little too big for me since i am only 150lbs. I am going to order one though...I think I am getting the leg straps first and if I am not liking it I will just add on the seat.

Get the seat and if you don't like it I have new leg straps I'll sell you for 30% off.

Don't bother with those leg straps, they are going get you in the giblets I am telling you don't do it you'll be sorry.

In all honesty if I find the guy who thought up leg straps I am going to get that SOB.

yeah,i was really eying this particular setup myself when i was reading this thread.thinking the same thing,just making a blakes with a tail and trying it.
It really does make sense.

Speaking from experience, the XT and VT collapse much easier than a Blakes when using a mechanical system... The blakes is almost suited to the old style, whether that be in an open or closed system.

For a while I stuck to the blakes even on a mechanical system, because for me having the knot run a little better on the descent made it more controllable... but after I played with the number of wraps on the XT I have found it to be the ideal hitch for me, now that I have everything fine tuned that is.

(BTW that double rope bridge is an A++ idea, I have cougar with an old worn out bridge. Which will soon be replaced with two bridges cut from climbing line :greenchainsaw: thumbs up!)

Don't bother with those leg straps, they are going get you in the giblets I am telling you don't do it you'll be sorry.

In all honesty if I find the guy who thought up leg straps I am going to get that SOB.

Alright, thanks for the help going to go with the seat, ordering it up in the next few days...Thanks everyone!

My climbing buddy.....

bought a cougar with leg straps and after a little testing in the shop (we installed a false crotch around a rafter) he woke up the next morning with some nasty bruises on the inside of his thighs. He's not too happy...this is an interesting thread, anyone care to sum it all up? Is the cougar worth the money, and effort to get the saddle set up properly for a hard day in the tree? Are there any other Cougar owners that can add more info to this thread?

Last edited:
bought a cougar with leg straps and after a little testing in the shop (we installed a false crotch around a rafter) he woke up the next morning with some nasty bruises on the inside of his thighs. He's not to happy...this is an interesting thread, anyone care to sum it all up? Is the cougar worth the money, and effort to get the saddle set up properly for a hard day in the tree? Are there any other Cougar owners that can add more info to this thread?

I've been playing around with mine a lot lately. You will get used to it. Very used to it. Get the butt seat.

bought a cougar with leg straps and after a little testing in the shop (we installed a false crotch around a rafter) he woke up the next morning with some nasty bruises on the inside of his thighs. He's not to happy...this is an interesting thread, anyone care to sum it all up? Is the cougar worth the money, and effort to get the saddle set up properly for a hard day in the tree? Are there any other Cougar owners that can add more info to this thread?

I bought a Cougar a couple months ago and I don't really care for it.I'm a 34" waist so I went with a medium.I'm on the last hole of the belt and it's still too loose.The d-rings are in the correct spot so I don't think a small would have been appropriate.

I will say that it is a heavy duty saddle so it should last a long time.

you need a nice tight saddle. i got a 36in waist but still went with the smaller size. fits perfect.

martyb. thats why the bosun seat is superior to leg straps. you adjust the seat to find the sweet spot so that when you sit back there it is but the key, the very key to comfort, is having the leg straps as loose as possible. that way you have total leg freedom of movement and you can make any dynamic leg move you need to make to get around in the tree.

think throwing you leg up over a branch. tight leg straps and you cant really lift your leg all that high. loose leg strap allows better movement.

absolutely no thank you to the leg strap attacking your ball bag and i guarantee it will happen along with that bruising and chaffing with leg strap saddles.

Latest posts

Back