The dream custom job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First and formost, it is local, only 8 miles from the house.
second most of the logs are of good size, several are a little too big for the mill, but that is nothing a little gunpowder can't fix.

100_0013.jpg

Next is the support equipment that came with it. The guy thought I was working too hard and gave me a set of keys to this.

100_0012.jpg

Works good for loading the log loader as well as off loading the mill. He also dropped off a mack with an autoloader on it, but after about an hour of messing with that I like the backhoe with the forks and thumb better.

Its a 8 mbf job so I will be at it all week,so more photos will come.

Last edited:
Last edited:
WOW!!! ...wonder what the neighbors would think if I tried that in my back yard... sheeeeesh. Does look like fun though. Curious how deep you make the slit for the powder and how much of that stuff does it take to blow a log that size.

Kids... don't try this at home... :clap:

I probably shouldn't be telling you this,

But a guy down the road a piece from me showed me how to to this. Make a cut about one and a half feet from the lower end of the log. Cut is made by sticking the saw nose into the log, as deep as half of the diameter of the log. once the saw is buried up to the end, then pry it back and forth to make a pocket that is bigger at the bottom, than the top. On a 4' diameter log, about 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup black powder is all that is necessary. You really don't need to blow the log to splinters, like the guys in that video. Pack newspaper into the cut over the powder, then hammer a few wedge shaped splinters into the hole, light fuse. Most of the time you'll hear a sound about like a big shotgun blast, and the log will open up about 2-3 ", you have to finish by splitting with gluts, wedges, aint as entertaining, but saves wood, and is safer.:chainsaw:

I do it a little different. I make the slit dead center in 8 ft of log, so if the log is 16 ft it gets 2 slits. The logs I am working with now are in the 36-40 inch range and I plung an 18 inch bar at a slight angle, no pocket at the bottom.

I use pyrodex for muzzleloaders because it is less dangerous than real black powder or the modern smokless powders. The pyrodex has to be tamped, I use my builtmore stick for that.

The fuse gets stuck in and pushed to the bottom, then the the powder is poured in and as I pour I count out 15 seconds. I use the plastic spout on the bottle for loading muzzleloaders to keep the flow slow to about 100 grains per second.

I tamp with the builtmore stick, and then tamp catlitter over it all the way to the top. The fuse burns at 2 ft a minute so it can be measured out to get the desired time so you can stand clear. No wedges required. The log usually splits clean.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, WE ARE TRAINED PROS. THIS POST IS FOR ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT VALUE ONLY. TRYING SAID STUNT CAN KILL OR MAIM YOU AND GET YOU INTO THE BOOK OF DARWIN AWARDS!
okay, thats my disclaimer.

Last edited:
cushy. isn't it fun to be spoiled?

I like it when people appriciate the value of the work you are doing for them. I am getting paid by the board foot and he is going to grind 4 stumps in my yard at no cost.

I quoted the job by the board ft a few months ago and put in a couple ogf days as I had time. He sold what I milled so far and now feels bad about how much he is paying me:) I like people like that, even though I am content with my price it makes me feel good when the person knows they are getting a deal.

Latest posts

Back