the ecphratic elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesandsurf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Called in to look at this beauty. Here's some background info.... :monkey:

Observations
1. Location. I observed the following:
▪ a wooden fence approximately 6' in height running along the west facing side of the property,
with several small lateral branches of the tree growing into and on top of the fence.
▪ temporary wire fencing approximately 3' in height encircling and touching the trunk of the
tree on the University property side.
▪ large, circular plastic tubing and trays stored on top of and around the trunk of the tree.
▪ leaf litter and soil mounded several inches over the root collar.
▪ pavement over more than ninety percent of the root system within the drip zone of the tree.
▪ a curb encircling approximately seventy – five percent of the tree, located within several
inches of the root collar.
▪ recent cracking and uplifting of curbing and pavement in two different areas.
▪ repair work done on old cracking in pavement within several feet of tree.
▪ repair work done on large section (approximately four feet by three feet) of concrete within
several feet of tree.
▪ several structures located within several feet of tree.
▪ a parking lot located on west side of tree, on adjacent property to the University.

2. Soil and Roots. I observed the following:
▪ lifting and cracking of pavement and curbing indicating aggressive root growth.
▪ recent repair to large section of pavement indicating disruption of site and damage to root
system (extent unknown).
▪ extensive paving over root system and frequent use of area indicating moderate to severe soil
compaction.

3. Root collar and Trunk. I observed the following:
▪ several inches of soil mounding over root collar.
▪ no external indication of decay at root collar.
▪ two co-dominate leaders (trunks) splitting at approximately 16” from grade.
▪ a large wound at basal end of trunk; presence of large ribs indicates moderate wound wood
formation.
▪ decay present internally from center of wound, measured approximately 5” from outside of
wound to soft tissues. I probed the inside of the wound and felt and saw soft, spongy tissue
internally indicating decay to heartwood of north facing co-dominant leader.
▪ bacterial wetwood, slime flux present on south facing co-dominant leader at about nine feet
from grade, running in a column approximately 6” wide down entire underside of trunk; texture
and coloration ranged from dark brown oozing liquid (viscose) to long streaks orange and
yellow in color.
▪ epicormic growth on west facing portion of tree; several laterals growing into and on top of
wooden fence along west side of property.
▪ diameter at breast height (DBH) was measured as 39”.

4. Crown. I observed the following:
▪ approximately 45' in height with a spread of approximately 60'.
▪ majority of weight towards structures and walkways (University property).
▪ majority of growth in upper two-thirds tree.
▪ extensive epicormic and adventitious growth on east facing side of both co-dominant leaders
in lower one-third of tree.
▪ majority of pruning injuries were made at improper locations according to professional
standards, which may reduce the tree's ability to compartmentalize decay caused by the injuries.
▪ several branches ranging from 3 – 6” in diameter were removed from over the University
structure; there is poor wound wood formation on pruning injuries
throughout canopy.

Any artisans of arboriculture? Suggestions or insights welcome!
jp:D

Last edited:
I should add the neighbor and potential owner (future) of the property is very hopeful that the tree can be 'saved'.

it's been a long time since I had to dig out a dictionary to find out what somebody was talking about.

I suspect that you meant ecphrastic, but I still would have needed to look it up.

I give you credit, there was much more art in your description of the tree than there is in it's appearance.

Good point; you have to give me a second... I can get distracted easily :dizzy: .

University staff were concerned about pavement wanted to know if there was anything that could be done. Also, a branch failed a little over a year ago and there was concern more branches would fall onto the house and/or people/dogs. Should it be removed...or can it be preserved?

suspect that you meant ecphrastic
Same here, at first I thought it was some obscure species, while I was saying it looks like pumila.

If the institution is concerned as to struck-by risk, then they need to know that there is an elevated risk with the species, condition and location.

The box-out is relatively new, so one can assume that there is root damage from the concrete work.

My opinion would be that the tree is not to be saved indefinitely, but maintained and monitored for future removal. If there is no historic need to keep the tree, then a plan can be done to improve the area, remove the debris and install a more appropriate plant in the location when the need arises.

I think you may be right about the pumila thing, JPS. Being in the tropics for several years, I lost the edge of making identifications without the leaves :confused:.

Here's the report I wrote for the University. Did this work essentially pro-bono as a family member is an employee of the university. We'll see what happens.

Good report. You said you did that for free? If you would have charged them, how much would it have been? That seems like altogether you could have put in 8 hours or so?

8 hrs? Would have had to be a long drive, maybe three with the typing, most of it is common use language. Most of it was interpreting field notes to the formal report.

These are the types of reports that make it hard to get people to accept the service as valid.

Can we save it? Maybe, but it will cost you

Can it hurt someone? Maybe, under the right conditions any tree can fail, and this is on worse condition then many trees.

Maybe, I paid $200 for three pages of maybe, and one page was all pictures!!

I've done a number of these for home sales when a buyer sees a defect. Most often they want the free estimate for sales leverage. I settled adding an opinion as to cost ranges for any risk mitigation from cabling to removal and it made some happier.

That was a W.A.G. on my part never having done it before I could put that much time into it.

I can see after doing a bunch and having a system down to make sure you've covered all the angles it would go much faster. Just have to make sure nothing is left out.

I've gotten pretty good at sniffing out the people trying to get freebies on bargaining sales prices down and insurance claims for work work that will never be done, still miss a few once in a while though:chainsaw:

It's unfortunate the tree will have to go. Hopefully you can educate them so in the future they don't abuse their trees like they have done to this one and then expect the tree to be healthy. Education is important. Nice work documenting the tree though, it's a good step..... Mike

8 hrs? Would have had to be a long drive, maybe three with the typing, most of it is common use language. Most of it was interpreting field notes to the formal report.

These are the types of reports that make it hard to get people to accept the service as valid.

Can we save it? Maybe, but it will cost you

Can it hurt someone? Maybe, under the right conditions any tree can fail, and this is on worse condition then many trees.

Maybe, I paid $200 for three pages of maybe, and one page was all pictures!!

I've done a number of these for home sales when a buyer sees a defect. Most often they want the free estimate for sales leverage. I settled adding an opinion as to cost ranges for any risk mitigation from cabling to removal and it made some happier.

SO TRUE. Only tomorrow I'm doing a waste of time job when both the customer and I know the real reason he wanted me there was to look at his Slash Pine. I detected a small decayed section (sound test) at the base opposing the lean of the tree however not sufficient to justify removal of the tree just yet, of course I'll have to submit a report stating that it need to be re-inspected within a time frame not greater than 12months which he'll probably expect again without charge.

Some customers are very canny

Latest posts

Back