The little saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Much ado has been said about the large displacement ,cut down the Douglas fir,west coast,Paul Bunyan type saws.Not much has ever been said about the little 2 cu inch ,trim the tree on the week end ,sold new for $90 saws.Long before the famed 020 T Stihls and pro type arborist type saws were ever thought of,there was a tiny little saw that filled this need.They were all made as consumer type,non pro saws but made there way into the commercial market,on a limited ussage.They were the little Jack Russel terriers of chainsawdom.Most of the viewers of the picture were not yet born when these saws were new on the market.A lot of the older gents[my age],that were in the tree buis,years ago,used these little rascals to make a living in the tree tops.They were cheap,light[very important],and easy to operate.Many were ran a season or 2 and then retired to the shelf when any problem arrose with them,as it was cheaper to replace than repair.Right to left,Mac 120,Craftsman version of Poulan XX,Dayton version of Poulan S25A,and Homelite XL2.An interesting thing about the little Homey,it's a reed valve.While most itsy bitsy little saws are piston ported,the Homelite has a little reed,about the size of a nickle,right below the carb.While these teeny saws are often the brunt of a lot of jokes,they did ,in fact,play an important part of the evolutionary developement of the modern pro climbing saw.

The funny thing is that I happen to have pretty much one of each saw in that pic. The Mac in that pic is the only one thats piston ported.

i would hate to think of how many of these little saws were made, i can recall McCulloch selling Mac 110's for $ 99-00 Australian retail and that was in the later part of the seventies.

Each saw made has a place in the chain of use and abuse, true sometimes it was cheaper to buy a newie but heck i bet a lot of money was made out of repairs and that goes for all the different brands including Stihl.

Mc Bob.

small saws

I have recently puchased a new saw that is much smaller saw than i usually climb with.doing mostly takedowns i used to use 026 and 044,but this new saw was designed for carvers weighs only 6.5 pounds with 12 inch bar 1/4 pitch chain,32 cc and wow what a nice saw.my brother who is a carver turned me on to it and i love it.i hate to have to lug one of the other saws around in a tree any more.

I almost bought one of those homelites at a pawnshop in good shape for $40 but the thing was leaking gas and it did not have any safety kickgaurd so id ecided it probaly worth me spend another $100 ona new echo than mess with that saw.
I know it s a good saw though my FIL has one.

As OSA mentioned the Poulans were reed valve engines also. Until the Stihl 019T and 020T hit the market I used the little Poulans as climbing saws-good power to weght and the best balanced little tophandles out there for generations.

Perhaps I missed it,but on the little red XX,it apeared to be a piston ported job,every time I had the carb off,which was often,until I got it right,duh.I knew the orange one was,in fact reed valve.That was the first saw I ever owned and the only new saw I ever had also,in addition to the most money I ever paid for a saw,including my Mac 125's and Homey 2100 s.If I recall correctly,that saw was $139,in around 1974 or 5.As a little tid bit of info,it has been my experiance that these little saw,if equipted with points type ignition,seem to experiance condenser problems in thier old age.I think this problem is often overlooked but easily fixed.

Al Mike Acres' site agrees that the XX was a Piston Ported design. The XXV and all the little Micro 2000s and 2300s were reed valve.

Still have a couple of those original Poulans laying around, I started climbing with a Homelite SEZ and first time I grabbed the poulan thought I was in heaven. Still a nice little ground saw and simple design in my opinion make them pretty easy to work on. Worst design problem I thought on them was the inside muffler screws would back out inside the muffler and wreak havac to the piston/cylinder. Also the older models had PIA points, but easy to change over with newer style condensor and flywheel. Nice pics Al. :)

Let's not forget about these little guys. One is a Frontier, the other a Lombard I think. I have also seen these same saws under the name Jonsered, Skill. Husky has one that looks similar to these saws, had to be the same company that was making them, just different names.

Larry

Might as well throw my little Echo 315 in the mix. Bought it new in 1977 for 97 bucks. Still runs great...Bob

Back