The Lockdown Firewood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billhook

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Needed a project during Uk lockdown. Confined to the farm yard so any scrap lying around was all I had.
AIM was to take logs from a wind blown Ash in the woods to my wood burner with no lifting
My wrists are osteoarthritic and starting a chainsaw or heavy lifting is out so I had bought a Stihl 220 electric saw before lockdown which is just adequate for the two foot diameter logs
I find I can use this saw without pain as it is really the sharp movements of starting a petrol or manoeuvring a heavy log that really hurt.
I have a Palax Combi which is great but will only deal with 10 inch
I found a remote control winch device from eBay which are now about £11, the seller saw me coming and I paid £30 but it was still cheap compared to all the pipe work and valves
My other big advantage was the old Matbro 270 teleported which I bought in 2010 for £7000 with 11000 hours on the clock which was broken so goodness knows how many hours it has done now
It has the luxury of Danfoss electro hydraulics so I could make full use of the power and lifting capacity (2.7 tons) as well as the Teleboom.
I cut the blade out of 30mm plate and pointed it to give maximum penetration to difficult logs like knotty Elm
The blade is adjustable for height in one inch increments but I have it set at 4 inches
I need to fit a processor saw at some point but this will have to do

Welcome to AS

What's the battery life on the 220 before recharge is needed?

Not ready to give up the 661 R but that little saw is impressive

I do not use it for the larger logs in the video normally and I was surprised how easily it cut up that tree with an average diameter of 22 inches with still 2 out of four light left on the battery
I would say it is about the same as a Stihl 181. It is difficult to remember to check the oil when you are so used to doing that when you fill the fuel! How long the battery lasts depends very much on what you are doing. With the work on the video I expect less than an hour but the spare battery only takes 40 minutes to charge. I intend to use it just for de-limbing trees so it will be zzzt, zzzt, zzzt and will last most of the day. It you are cutting a big log and forcing it too much it will severely reduce the charge.
They are expensive (the batteries are more than the saw!) but for me at 66 years old and with the arthritis I cannot start the petrol saws so it is the only option. Plus it is so much more pleasant without the fumes and noise in the woods, disturbing both wildlife and humans!
. I intend to make a processor saw for the splitter for the big stuff when I can find the time.

Bill, i like your set up!! Great way to use existing machinery and bits!!
i've also gone to a Sthil battery saw, i got a MSA140. i use it for limbing and the few cuts i make at my processor.
If we had large wood like that here, i'd be copying your ideas!! nice to see, thanks for sharing!!

Latest posts

Back