The man behind Homelite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackoak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have always been a history buff. I know that Andreas Sthil started Stihl and Robert McCulloch founded McCulloch, but who was the man that started the Homelite motor corperation?

I don't have a clue,myself.As a point of interest,the grandson of the founder of Poulan is on this site,some where.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the info on Mike Acres site,the gents name was Charles Ferguson.The Home Elecric Lighting Company,how about that one,sports fans. :)

Here's another one i bet you never heard of, both product and grandson. (ME). My grandad started the ESKIMOTOR Snowmobile Company a division of Tee Nee boat trailer in Youngstown Ohio. Not a saw but it has an engine...Bob

I doubt if there is one single individual that could be responsible for Homelite chain saws. By the time Homelite saws were available in like 1952 or 1953, Homelite had already assisted a couple of other companies with small, light 2-stroke engines on 2-man saws. But the Homelite sales people were able to recognize that that market was self-limiting; better to try to steal away a share of Bob McC's lightweight market share. By 1955 they were fully competitive with the big yellow mallard.

When I visited the Stihl factory last year I was surprised to find out one of the current factory managers was a 20 year veteran of Homelite corp. He said he worked on design staff back when it was owned by textron. Created a slight stir in the crowd to hear about a Homelite guy involved with their precious Stihl saws. :)

Homelite Technology:

Ha, looks like my attitude towaards Stihl might change a bit. Homelite technology being incorperated in a Stihl sounds great along with the German craftsmanship and quality, so too speak. Sorry fellas couldn't resist. Now if we could get the parts distrbution thing solved, things would look even better. Take care.. Lewis Brander

Latest posts

Back