The Much Maligned Mag Melding Mission!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the good advice, yep, I must admit, I need to clean before welding much better, I haven't any training from anyone, so any advice is welcome! Live and Learn is what I always say:msp_rolleyes:

In case anybody hasn't seen this about NOT using brake cleaner for TIG welding, I wanted to post this link:

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

I once used brake clean to pre-clean before using a mig welder with a straight Co2 setup. Although the vapor probably wasn't phosgene, it sure was terrible smelling stuff, and it made me want to vomit. Needless to say I won't be using brake clean for cleaning before welding again.

Brake clean is a no-no.

Carb clean. WD-40 is ok on steel.

Don't weld on galv. steel unless you either grind/sand off the area where the weld will be, or weld in very good ventilation, keeping your head the hell away from the fume cloud rising up into the ventilation pipe.

I gotta get those old furnace blowers lined up and installed... I could make a decent little ventilation system, with pipes routed to specific areas, and dampers installed to shut a certain area off so the draft is better where I need it.

But first, I got 2 saws to finish, an air compressor to set up, a JD 317 to fix, a car to fix, a car to tear apart, possibly an outboard motor to fix... blah blah blah and stuff like that... lots of work around here, not that that's a bad thing, of course.

Last edited:
I was certified for Aluminum Stainless and MildSteel Tig at one time. Not in that business anymore so no need. I have done a little mag and a few other exotic metals too. I worked for an airline and those planes are made from some serious stuff.

I agree on the cleaning ..clean clean squeaky clean was one of my teachers mottos. Amen on using brushes etc for specific metals.

WD 40 is a no no..you dont want any oil based stuff in there at all. Acetone works great. The more porus the metal the harder it will be to get clean.

Glad to see you are trying and learing. I wont recount the number of scraps I went through figuring it out.

Good luck,

I was certified for Aluminum Stainless and MildSteel Tig at one time. Not in that business anymore so no need. I have done a little mag and a few other exotic metals too. I worked for an airline and those planes are made from some serious stuff.

I agree on the cleaning ..clean clean squeaky clean was one of my teachers mottos. Amen on using brushes etc for specific metals.

WD 40 is a no no..you dont want any oil based stuff in there at all. Acetone works great. The more porus the metal the harder it will be to get clean.

Glad to see you are trying and learing. I wont recount the number of scraps I went through figuring it out.

Good luck,

I forgot to mention that WD-40 is only okay on steel... for example, if you aren't gonna get that nice freshly cleaned off and shiny piece of steel welded up soon, put something on it to keep the damn water off so it don't rust. ;)

But first, I gotto get a job ,2 saws to finish, an air compressor to set up, a JD 317 to fix, a car to fix, a car to tear apart, possibly an outboard motor to fix... blah blah blah and stuff like that... lots of work around here, not that that's a bad thing, of course.

there fixed it for ya....

Ahhh, The Grim reality of cast Aluminum...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p62Cyqe714Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Look at all the crap embedded in the casting, the weld pool just pulls all that crud up from the casting and contaminates the weld pool. I like the way he deals with it. I find that same thing with cast iron...
I've got to get a foot pedal for my machine... I'm presently using a hand control and it just too difficult to hold the torch steady and manipulate the control on and off that way.

For everybody reading this post and contributing the word clean cant be emphasized enough. We have dedicated SS wire brushes, sanders, and bench grinders for all the different metals we work with. No on has mentioned this yet, but washing down your filler rod with acetone should be done after a good rubdown with a red scotchbrite pad to get the surface corrosion off. We make the aluminum filler shiny like chrome before welding, and most of our stuff is beat up and abused cast aluminum fan and vacuum housings.

Nice info,
I have done my fair share of tiging cast aluminum.
And it is just like the video. I have always started the arc
and gone over the weld area to bring the cantaminants
to the surface. Then clean the surface. Do this a couple times
before actually welding it.

Lee

Back